VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j0hnny a1pha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does EtherDFS support record locking, e.g. with SHARE.EXE?

For instance, running a multi-node BBS which has a main database and various records that get updated by simultaneous users.
Not so much doors, as they could be restricted to single node use...

For the record, I've got a Proxmox PVE with multiple FreeDOS v1.3 VMs that use EtherDFS to share files (mounting MSDOS filesystem on a Linux server).

I went round-and-round with MS-CLIENT 7 LANMAN to get SMB to work, and just couldn't get it to get an IP address with DHCP!
Might be a NDIS2 driver thing w/Proxmox (RTL8139) or just a config issue, but mTCP is such an easier setup -- I'd love to use it if possible with EtherDFS.

Thanks for any info!

Reply 1 of 3, by GrizzlyAdams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

File locking isn't really a thing I think EtherDFS was designed for, it was designed to be a very small network file sharing solution with minimal safeguards.

If I can suggest another direction you might want to look, PC-NFS (it's another very small file sharing solution, and can be hosted from a linux box with NFS configured properly) or Netware 3 (you'll need a file host which can be a pain to get working in qemu-kvm, and mars-nwe has fallen off the development bus).

I've hosted 16 nodes of Mystic on qemu-kvm with a Netware 3.11 file server and a custom linux telnet gateway that did connection tracking and round-robin connecting of incoming "callers" to available nodes, or provided either a BUSY or PLEASE WAIT response (with countdown until the oldest connection was eligible for forced disconnect) back to the user when all nodes were in use. Put two network cards in each VM, each with their own driver. One card gets used by Netware for the file shares, the other gets used by rlfossil to provide an inward connection to the VM and simulate a modem for your BBS package. This also means you can isolate your filesharing environment on the backend from the telnet environment on the frontend.

I have seen reports of folks using EtherDFS, despite the reservations I have about doing so. So it may be possible to use it still. But I do wholeheartedly recommend the split network approach, it makes it much easier to get both a file sharing solution and rlfossil going.

Another couple thingsg I'd recommend:

writing a tiny program to get the local MAC address from one of your network cards and use that to set the node's hostname.
(there are some packet driver examples that can easily be pieced together to do this).
setup the minimal boot environment that does auto configuration of the hostname and starting of the network services. have it copy over everything else from a network share every boot. that makes it much easier to update things one time, and have all the nodes auto-deploy when they reboot.

Reply 2 of 3, by j0hnny a1pha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's very helpful. I've seen a video that looks useful in setting up NAS + DOS -- it seems to support NAS v2, which means retroNAS could work on the linux side...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiVUmKkqduk

There's a new project n github called Ringdown to build a telnet server that handles call routing (and bot detection) to available nodes:

https://github.com/akacastor/ringdown/tree/main

With RLFOSSIL on each node, this could be interesting...

Cheers!

Reply 3 of 3, by j0hnny a1pha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick update, I successfully got the XFS client working on MSDOS 6.22 and OpenMediaServer, all on ProxMox.
XFS is quite large -- 64k -- and refuses to load anywhere but in conventional memory, but I can probably still work with that.

There does seem to be an issue with XFS and FreeDOS (NFS drive doesn't map), but with MSDOS it worked perfectly.

Installing MS-DOS on ProxMox was a bit of a PiTA compared to FreeDOS. I essentially had to install on VirtualBox first, then connect & copy the C:\ drive to the file server, then copy over the ProxMox VM that I started with an MSDOS 6.22 boot disk ISO I found. Then, LOTS of memory config issues -- but PHEW -- it seems to be working now.

Time to move on the BBS portion!