VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by garett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everybody! Need some advice with Carmageddon (DOSBox). The problem is low FPS in open areas, for example, level "Fridge racer". If I'm driving through some tunnel (lelel "Pit stop") - it's OK, FPS is almost 60. My CPU: Core i5 2,5 GHz - so why it can't calculate level geometry in real time? Thank you.

Reply 2 of 4, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
garett wrote on 2024-03-03, 10:45:

My CPU: Core i5 2,5 GHz - so why it can't calculate level geometry in real time? Thank you.

Games in DOSBox never execute directly on your host CPU. The full system is emulated, hardware included, which adds a lot of overhead.

For best performance make sure you set cycles=max, cputype=auto, and core=dynamic (or auto). The latter will optimally transfer some of the burden to your host cpu... but then again, I think these settings should be the default.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone has put together an 800 MB 'special edition' of Carmageddon, and it's expansion pack 'the Splat Pack', and the package also includes some fan-made vehicles, fan-made levels, fan-made pedestrians, and some new or upgraded textures. It runs natively on Windows (meaning that it doesn't require the high PC specs that a DOSBox game does), and works great on my old Windows 10 laptop. You can set the game's resolution, aspect ratio, etc, by editing the 'ddraw.ini' text file in the game's folder. I know that this is in the DOS forum, but the original post references DOSBox, so he/she isn't trying to run the game under pure DOS.

It's a really great all-in-one package, just download the .zip file, unzip it to a folder, edit the ddraw.ini file, and play*. Unfortunately, the download (from a well known game/mod site) includes the official game data, meaning that I can't post a link here. But no one can stop you from searching via google.

* Actually, also read the user comments on the download page. It includes some details of what to change in the text files.

Reply 4 of 4, by garett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to all for support but I have one more question - unfortunately I hear no voices in DOSBox configuration. To make it clearer - I hear engine, environment sounds but Max Damage and Anna Die are silent 😀 Why?