VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SammyFox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Context: Last december I came back from the weed dispensary (canada!) one evening and on my way home I came across a quite smol dell optiplex gx520 desktop pc cruelly thrown away by its previous owner. I grabbed it and went home. Other than checking what innards it had (500gb hard disk, 1gb ddr2 ram, 1 pci slot, a pentium D) and it then sat there gathering some dust until earlier this month when I remembered to buy a VGA cable for the optiplex and turns out it works perfectly fine! and I even threw out the 1gb stick and maxed out the ram to 4gb and now I can put something 64bit on it if I feel like being a masochist.

Anyway, after putting the PC in OS Install Mode (limited to 256mb of ram), I was able to install Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and even got 1280x1024 256 colors working on it with the patched SVGA driver (I thought I'd gotten it running with the base drivers but I'd forgot I'd gotten the patched drivers first) so that's all pretty neat!

BUT, I wanted to know if you peeps have experience with the GMA 950 and dos games/programs in both VGA and SVGA modes? There's only 1 pci slot in this thing so I figured I'd use that for a dos-compatible sound card and I'd also really like to know what's a good low-profile pci sound card that would fit in this?

Reply 1 of 1, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting. I am in the process of aquiring a main board with that exact configuration, and I am planning on using it for Windows 98 / Windows XP Dual Boot. As for official driver support, the GMA 950 has drivers for Windows XP 32-bit, but no official Win 98 drivers exist. However, there is a trick to make W98 accept some older integrated Intel graphics drivers and run it as that.

If I remember correctly, Intel has removed the oldest VESA modes from the GMA 950, you can use the method described here to check what is available to you:
https://wiki.osdev.org/VESA_Video_Modes