VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are some good reasons to use Windows 9x compare to OS nowadays (Win 11, Win 10, etc.)?

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It runs very well on old hardware that would struggle with Windows XP, much less anything newer than that. And to hear the wonderful startup sound.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lower rolling resistance, CD will get further down a hill than a USB stick.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The sole purpose I see is to properly run vintage software (mainly games).

I wouldn't want to use Windows 9x for online banking or shopping or pretty much anything Internet related in 2021 .

Reply 4 of 6, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One good reason for me is that in Windows 3.11/98 I can actually focus on my job... I have to do a lot of script doctoring for a TV show, and if I have to work with text in Windows 10/11 - just after a few minutes... I find myself on youtube watching videos about industrial freezers...

In Windows 98 Internet is not such a big distraction, I can listen music from my MP3 archive, Retrozilla works fine with wikipedia if I need some documentation... I run Windows 3x/9x/NT/10/11 on the same computer.

My best video so far.

Reply 5 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would expect you'd get a lot of 'security by obscurity' compared to more recent Windows versions. But for a great price. I know there were some web browser projects for Win9x so you could load modern sites, but even without the lack of support, the modern internet is very memory and CPU intensive. I don't think anything less than a Core2 Duo with 2GB RAM can handle some light browsing with no more than a handful of open tabs.

For strictly offline stuff, it might work, but W9x and compatible software often lack a lot of quality of life improvement we got used to in the decades since.

Maybe one could make an argument that Windows became a privacy nightmare in the past 10 years (not that it ever was particularly strong on that regard), but even then, it's Linux adoption is a better option than forcing a retro OS daily driver.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png