VOGONS

First post, by nschlichtmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,

I have a strange problem and I hope you can help me to fix it! Please excuse my English, I'm from Germany! 😉

And it is about the following:

I installed Windows 3.11 in DOSBox 0.74-3 using the very helpful guide on "Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide". Everything worked fine, I used the following drivers during the installation:

- S3 Graphics Card Driver (version 1.70.04)
- SoundBlaster Driver (SB16W3x)
- Video for Windows 3.1x
- Win32s
- WinG
- Joystick Driver
- QuickTime

I created a dosbox.conf with the following command lines:

mount c .\system
c:
cd windows
win
exit

So far, so good, everything works! Now i installed a game from my youth called "Die total verrückte Rally" (Dr. Drago’s Madcap Chase). I could install and launch the game without any problems.

Now I have extended the dosbox.conf as follows to start the game directly:

mount c .\system
imgmount d .\cd\dtvr.cue -t iso
c:
cd windows
win c:\bluebyte\rallye\rally.exe
exit

In this case, the game starts automatically, but there is an error message and the voice output is completely missing.

This behavior only occurs during autoboot, it doesn't matter whether via the command line in dosbox.conf or when using the autostart folder in Windows. In both cases, the error message comes with the voice output. In no case did the problem occur when I first start Windows normally and then click on the corresponding icon to start the game.

I have the feeling that the sound driver cannot be loaded correctly or fast enough during the boot process via autoboot, which is why the sound problems occur. Or is it possible that the sound drivers have to be loaded during the boot process, if that is even possible?!

You've discussed the same problem before (Auto Launch Windows 3.1 Games?), but I don't think you understood the thread creator correctly, so the thread fizzled out. I hope I was able to explain it a little more concretely and in detail here! 😀

Many thanks for your help!

Reply 1 of 2, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe moving this thread to the DOSBox section will help a lot

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 2, by nschlichtmann

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh sorry, my fault! How can this post be switched?