VOGONS

Sound Blaster CT4170

Topic actions

First post, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I need some help. I am trying to install this sound card on my IBM 330 6577 with Windows 95C.
Windows detects it as Creative ViBRA16xPNP and asks me for the drivers to install.
IMG-20220612-225113.jpg
Having lost the CD, I found the drivers from the site https://archive.org/details/sb-16_202204.
However, the yellow exclamation point appeared after installation.
So I uninstalled everything and tried to install these:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/creative-labs-drivers.html
File: sbw9xup.exe
BUT no same problem!
IMG-20220612-232259.jpg

This is the Sound Card:

IMG-20220611-113831.jpg

IMG-20220611-114057.jpg

Can anyone help me? A thousand thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right click on the problematic devices and look at the Resources tab, you will probably find that there is a resource conflict, probably IRQ.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 7, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Creative Sound Blaster 16 plug and play conflicting device list:
Interrupt level 05 used by:
IRQ management for PCI Steering.
Input / output range 0388 - 038B used by:
Ad Lib Gold compatible (OPL3)
What should I do?

Reply 3 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AdLib Gold Compatible also exists on your Device Manager - that is strange as the IBM 330 6577 does not have any onboard sound. Do you happen to have a second sound card installed in this system? Did it actually come with something like an Adlib Gold and you never realized?

Right click on Adlib Gold Compatible and disable it in this hardware profile, reboot. This should get the SB16 working. That said, I'm curious what that Adlib Gold device is..

Reply 4 of 7, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to switch slots, but the problem remained. So I deleted all the drivers including Ad Lib Gold compatible (OPL3) by clicking on the "disable it in this hardware profile" option, restarted the pc, installed the Creative drivers and finally no problems or compatibility conflicts! Now I can enjoy good audio!
However I do not understand this strange problem that has presented itself to me .... I do not understand it!

Reply 5 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-06-14, 11:58:

I tried to switch slots, but the problem remained. So I deleted all the drivers including Ad Lib Gold compatible (OPL3) by clicking on the "disable it in this hardware profile" option, restarted the pc, installed the Creative drivers and finally no problems or compatibility conflicts! Now I can enjoy good audio!
However I do not understand this strange problem that has presented itself to me .... I do not understand it!

It looks like either you have another sound card installed at one of the other expansion slots, and if Windows is detecting correctly you have one that is worth thousands of dollars, or you have some OPL3 sound card installed or integrated on your motherboard, which is also fairly unlikely as the IBM model you describe should not have one.

Take a photo of your computer, insides and cards installed.. It's a mystery I'm curious about as well.

Reply 6 of 7, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the photos:
(The last photo is older, but I was interested in showing you the back, the lower part where there are the various attachments for the various sockets).

Reply 7 of 7, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In terms of information, and out of curiosity Are there any drivers for Windows 3.11? 🤣 😄