VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 44, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-09-01, 18:39:

Leave the resources alone. Change the driver for the S3 card. Click "Change Driver" on the "General" tab. Update the driver manually to Standard VGA Adapter. Reboot, then disable in Device Manager. Reboot once more.

What happens then?

See above.

Reply 21 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-09-01, 20:23:
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-09-01, 20:21:

YES, but it is a pity that the problem remains. Is there no way to completely disable this damn integrated card or have it ignored by windows?

Did you see my post about installing the Standard PCI Adapter?

No, I can't find it.

Reply 22 of 44, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-09-01, 20:38:

No, I can't find it.

Look inside the "Microsoft Standard Display Types" the Standard VGA/PCI Adapter is listed there.

Or did you mean you can't find my post?

Here it is:

Leave the resources alone. Change the driver for the S3 card. Click "Change Driver" on the "General" tab. Update the driver manually to Standard VGA Adapter. Reboot, then disable in Device Manager. Reboot once more.

What happens then?

Reply 23 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What happens then?

See above.

OK, I have to try, I don't remember if I had already tried.

Reply 24 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I lost my patience ... uninstalled everything and installed Windows 95
Look:
IMG-20220901-230448.jpg

Now I would like to understand, before I curse, because in Windows 95, there are no problems and in Windows 98SE yes????

Reply 26 of 44, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-09-01, 21:10:

I will do it tomorrow, if I do an upgrade to windows 98SE, instead of a clean install, shouldn't there be any problems?

A clean install usually gives better results (including formatting the drive). You might want to try using the /PI switch with setup (SETUP.EXE /PI). This will force Windows 98 setup to use the resources assigned in the BIOS.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/start-02.html

Reply 27 of 44, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried the option "Disable in this Hardware Profile" for the S3 card in device manager?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-09-01, 20:51:

What happens then?

See above.

OK, I have to try, I don't remember if I had already tried.

I tried the SETUP.EXE / PI command and it didn't work.
I ran your advice, changing to setting the integrated tab to General, restarted, then disabled, restarted, but nothing ....
It does not work!
I can say with certainty that the windows 95 installation is more compatible and does not create problems.

Reply 32 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I discovered a very strange thing, even if the integrated video card is set to General and disabled, in the display properties and in "Video Card" windows sees the integrated graphics card, which I set with the general drivers. I do not understand why.
Should see Matrox !!

Reply 33 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand, the problem. In Windows 95 it does not show up, since during installation you can specify which devices to install.
I remember now, I told him to ignore the integrated card, and to install the generic driver for the Matrox.
Once windows started, I installed the matrox drivers, and when it restarted, only after windows did it automatically install the integrated video card drivers!
This meant that the matrox board was set as the main one and the problem did not arise.
Then for safety I deactivated the integrated card and everything ended well!
Question, in Windows 98 is it possible to do such an installation? Because that option has been removed, but I see that it is very useful to have it, this is a point in favor of Windows 95.

Reply 34 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to update windows, but I get a message:
Your computer already has an operating system installed, but it is impossible to update it with this version of the installer. Use the Windows 98 update.
I searched the web for this update in Italian, but I can't find it ....

Reply 36 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, update completed. Guess what?! Everything works perfectly!
Because? why?! If I install Windows 98 clean, does it give problems? As an upgrade from windows 95 to 98 no! I don't understand anything!

Reply 37 of 44, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-09-02, 12:02:

So, update completed. Guess what?! Everything works perfectly!
Because? why?! If I install Windows 98 clean, does it give problems? As an upgrade from windows 95 to 98 no! I don't understand anything!

You answered your own question:

Question, in Windows 98 is it possible to do such an installation? Because that option has been removed, but I see that it is very useful to have it, this is a point in favor of Windows 95.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 38 of 44, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, found out one thing, in Advanced Settings, there is ROM Shadowing
I noticed that except the first three options, I can change everything.
Here almost everything is disabled, except the last entry which is enabled, it says: (BIOS for video adapter).
Isn't that the option to disable the integrated card?
Isn't it better for me to enable everything, since everything is disabled?
photo-2022-09-03-21-08-52.jpg

Reply 39 of 44, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're going to find a lot of talk to disable that option, and then there is more talk to leave it. Outside of a specific need - Bottom line - if your machine is working - leave this option alone. It doesn't hurt or help at this stage, and it is not related to disabling the onboard video hardware. I've read it's more of an ISA video card setting.