VOGONS

First post, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

on all games!?! i can't tell.. but i have 2GB's of RAM.
i installed the Age of Empires Expansion.... why i get a memory error? ....tell me that is less memory

Reply 1 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be sure, you are aware that Windows 98 is limited to 512 megabytes of RAM? This can be overcome by using R. Loews patch.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 7, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i installed that memory patch... so why the Age of Empires 1(Windows game) is give me a memory error?

Reply 3 of 7, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recommend removing some of that RAM to save yourself a lot of headache. 512 would still more than plenty for 9x software.

Reply 4 of 7, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The patch that Repo Man11 referred to is called PATCHMEM, and was written by the late Rudolph R. Loew.

I found two memorial sites on-line:

* https://rloewelectronics.com (maintained by family members)
* http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/rloew/rloew.html (maintained by his friend LoneCrusader)

The patch can be downloaded from both sites. The latest version of PATCHMEM appears to be version 7.2.

He also wrote other patches, drivers and tools for Windows 9x, which might be worth trying out. The sources of many of these have also been released by his family, to help preserve his legacy.

Also, when you try to run Windows 9x on even newer (and faster) hardware, you might want to take a look at patcher9x as well.

The finicky nature of Windows 9x, especially on newer hardware, always makes it particularly interesting to get it running smoothly.

Honestly though, the vast majority of games from the Windows 9x era can be made to run fairly easily on less problematic later OSes, such as Windows XP or Linux with Wine.

But of course in this hobby, we climb the mountain "because it's there". 😉

Have fun!

Reply 6 of 7, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

seems that i did a mistake and the error is about not having disk space... but only 25% of 80GB's is used 🙁

Reply 7 of 7, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feda wrote on 2023-01-16, 22:32:

I wouldn't bother with any patches. Just limit the available RAM to 512mb via this simple c:\windows\system.ini edit:
https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Specifying_Amoun … ing_MaxPhysPage

It's better to use HIMEMX's limiting options rather than using this parameter.

I did try using MaxPhysPage before. It worked fine for running Windows, but I had serious issues with some DOS-based software, as it appeared some DOS programs can still see and access all the RAM if not globally limited, creating an inconsistency.

cambalinho wrote on 2023-01-16, 22:41:

seems that i did a mistake and the error is about not having disk space... but only 25% of 80GB's is used 🙁

Hmmm... I think old software installers of these days tend to be prone to overflow issues when calculating disk space.

You probably need to look for some tools that can fill the disk space to make the installer happy, and you can then reclaim the space you filled once you finish installing.