VOGONS

Fallout Tactics in XP

Topic actions

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I'm trying to run the 3CD original release of Fallout Tactics in Windows XP, but it crashes at startup"

---------------------------
Fallout: Tactics (TM): BOS.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x7c911ec3" referenced memory at "0x0323842a". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
OK Cancel

I've tried running with VDMS, turning down or disabling DirectX sound acceleration, four patches (3CD Sprite Patch, 1.25, 1.27, and Sound Patch), as well as Compatibility modes for W95, W98, and W2000, but nothing helps.

The only thing I have determined is that if I disable the built-in SigmaTel sound card completely, the game runs - so this seems like a sound related issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Execute the game and waite for the error to pop up. Press CANCEL and wait for the dump to finish and press OK. Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson

Save the contents to a zip file and upload here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For unknown reasons, my Dr Watson log was elsewhere, but here it is anyway. I'll be very interested to hear what this means.

Reply 4 of 6, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a user.dmp file, but Windows won't let me copy or zip it. I did try all of the levels of sound acceleration.

Reply 5 of 6, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I'm not entirely certain that Dr. Watson is functioning correctly, since the files are located in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

and I don't get a cancel button that I can use to debug with.

Here is what I could get.

Reply 6 of 6, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone see anything interesting in the dump file? I'm glad to change Dr Watson's settings and try again if needed.