VOGONS

Common searches

FIFA Soccer 96 on Windows Vista

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by zelenog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I created a folder when I go to My Computer, then I click on C drive, and I named it (new folder) FIFA 96.

Then I tried to mount it. I typed :

mount C C:\FIFA 96 (with space, just like in that folder)

And it said directory doesn't exist.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by zelenog on 2012-01-17, 06:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 43, by zelenog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm. That's interesting. I made drive C mounted as local directory by adding " " marks. I didn't know those were necessary. If my memory serves me right, I used to run games with out them.

Anyway, here's what I did:

mount C "C:\FIFA 96"
mount D "E:\" -t cdrom -ioctl
C:
D:
dir.exe

There I found FIFA96 EXE, so I typed FIFA96.EXE and it gave me "FIle READ ERROR" again.

Did I miss something? or did smth wrong?

Reply 22 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Okay - now we are getting somewhere. What else do you have on that CD? No INSTALL.EXE ? No INSTALL.BAT ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 43, by zelenog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, unfortunately, when I try to instal the game from dosbox there are only 3 files there:

FIFA96.EXE
Autorun.EXE
UNIVAB.EXE (or something like that)

I tried to run autorun.exe, but there was just black screen.

Here's another interesting thing. I downloaded FIFA 96 (not the CD version) from the Internet yesterday, and performed all the similar steps using dosbox 7.0 and there was no "file read error" Instead the screen of FIFA 96 showed the background of the game. You know, like "FIFA 96. License in 1995" etc. So, the game did start, but after that sceen, a black screen showed and nothing happened. I did all the same steps with version 0.63; 0.65; and 0.71 -same result. It makes me wonder if DosBox supports FIFA 96 at all. But according to other people the CD version of the game DOES work on 0.70. People swear it works.

But back to the CD version of the game. What do I do next?

Reply 24 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm. My guess right now is that something is wrong with your CD. Maybe a scratch on the CD?

Can you copy the 3 files from the CD onto the harddisk by hand?

To get an idea what that "File READ ERROR" is all about you might need to install a little detective tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals … essmonitor.mspx

If you fire up ProcessMonitor (PM) and configure it to only show file access performed by DOSBox, and then start DOSBox + FIFA96.EXE, you should get a listing in PM with details about what is going on. But (no offense) I fear it might be too much to for you to understand the information PM shows. But try it, look for operations that says something like "OPEN", "ACCESS", "CLOSE" and of course if any of these operations return some error code.

Reply 25 of 43, by zelenog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I doubt that the CD is bad, because I actually have 2 CD of this game 😀 and they both have this "file read error"

I've read on the Internet one person said that he had the same type of error because "Windows XP didn't want to share this file/game" or something like that.

That's what you get when buying new computers that don't support DOS anymore 😀

Anyway, I'll try. Meanwhile you can close this thread because I doubt I'll be able to install and run this game. And frankly, it's too much effort and too little time for this game 😀

I remember playing FIFA 96 succesfully on Windows 95 (that has integrated MS-DOS 7.0) back in the 90s. I guess, eventually, I'll just need that old Windows 95/98.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your support!

Reply 26 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You might want to try and move that "FIFA 96" folder to your Documents folder and adjust the mount command in DOSBox correspondingly. E.g. something like

mount C "C:\Documents and Settings\zelenog\Documents\FIFA 96"

It could be that Vista do not like you mucking around in the C:\ directory.

Reply 28 of 43, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little update about this issue. I'm having the same problem with FIFA96. I mounted the cd by using the following:
"mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0"
and i got the same error message: File read error.
Could it be that maybe any component on this game is not compatible with Dosbox? I'm running version 0.71 on Vista Ultimate. Thnaks!

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 29 of 43, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know if it's a VISTA issue or not, but FIFA 96 does run (and quite well) with DOSBox 0.71 (haven't tested older versions yet) and Win XP Pro SP2.

Sadly, I only tested the RIP version yet, as I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to return my old CD...

Anyway, I would only be so bold as to assume it's either: a) mounting issue ; b) Vista/DOSBox issue (can someone try the RIP version on it?).

Reply 30 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have heard rumours, that Vista broke some of the low-level CD-ROM features in DOSBox (the ones enabled by the mount -ioctl option). Perhaps burning an image of the CD and use imgmount instead will solve that "File read error"?

Reply 31 of 43, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'll try the image stuff, and will report to you guys as soon as i get the result. Thanks MiniMax!

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 32 of 43, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I've got my CD back! 😀

I have heard rumours, that Vista broke some of the low-level CD-ROM features in DOSBox (the ones enabled by the mount -ioctl option). Perhaps burning an image of the CD and use imgmount instead will solve that "File read error"?

Minimax,

You probably have a point there, however I can confirm that the same issue, File read error, also occurs on Win XP Pro SP2. The actual message appears on the DOSBox (0.71) status windows, while the main window (game) shows only a black screen.

I've tried running straight off the CD and mounting an ISO, and both provide the same result. The install routine runs fine, the actual problem is when you execute FIFA96.exe from the CD (did a full install, but the exe isn't installed in C:\FIFA96 , so I have to run it from the CD).

I could, however, use the RIP version and add all the missing contents from the CD (remember doing it in the old days to avoid the cd check) but it would be even better getting the game to run properly...

Just hope it's not the same thing as FIFA Soccer 94, as the only salvation possible for that game was by using a special build made by wd that had "core=prefetch" enabled (that works flawlessly! thanks wd 😉 ).

I'll try some more tests in the meantime, like using the actual label on the iso, trying a bin/cue, maybe running the cd straight from the hd, and so on...

More feedback will be highly appreciated, as this is NOT a specific Vista issue. I'll report back after doing more tests.

Reply 33 of 43, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, has there been any progress regarding this subject? I'll try to run FIFA 96 again, for i really wanna play it again, and i would love to have it running properly on dosbox for vista.

Regards.

Reply 34 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i fixed this a while ago:

2007-11-01 13:15  qbix79

* include/dos_system.h, src/dos/dos_programs.cpp,
src/dos/drive_cache.cpp, src/dos/drive_iso.cpp,
src/dos/drive_local.cpp, src/dos/drives.cpp, src/dos/drives.h:
Emulate a trailing dot on volume labels of 8 characters when on a
cdrom drive. mscdex weirdness. Fixes Fifa96 cdrom detection.

So use a cvs version of dosbox or a version > 0.72

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 35 of 43, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Qbix, just for my knowledge, will 0.73 come out anytime soon?

Reply 36 of 43, by LeoB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to get this "file read error" on Windows 95 when trying to play through it. You had to quit to DOS. I still have the CD in perfect condition and am trying to play it with DOSBox without success. Same "file read error" message. I'm very nostalgic for the sound and videos and the play-by-play, not the action really. Any success with the full cd version? Thanks.

Reply 38 of 43, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi fellas. Once again, here I am responding to this topic. The thing is: I tried to install Fifa96 on my Windows 98 virtual machine (VirtualPC 2007) and I got the same "File Read error" message. I wonder to myself: could it be that my iso file is somehow corrupted?

I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (build 7000)