VOGONS

Common searches

Tomb Raider I

Topic actions

First post, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. We are running Windows Vista X64 and would like to play Tomb Raider I. Does anybody know how I can play Tomb Raider I with this computer type? Or, if you know if somebody is working on that, then could you tell me when it will be done and where to look for it on the internet.

Tommy 😀

My Computer is:
--------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: FK574AA-A2L a6652f
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/05/08 10:24:25 Ver: 5.30
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS
Chip type: GeForce 9500 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0644&SUBSYS_13301462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2284 MB

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A6F&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5657 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 7/3/2008 13:03:48, 1477272 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic

Reply 1 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you may want to look here: http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr1/fixes.html
and here: http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/vista/patch.html

lots of info also here: http://www.tombraiderhub.com/index.html

😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 29, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

Hi there. We are running Windows Vista X64 and would like to play Tomb Raider I. Does anybody know how I can play Tomb Raider I with this computer type?

yes: Dosbox w/glide patch

http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1.html#advancedsol
see under "dosbox" solution

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 5 of 29, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

but in the in-game cut scenes there is no sound. What do I do? Still considering the computer type is at the top of page.

unfortunately I have Vista x86, never had a chance to test it under x64 so I can't really tell

I have Realtek & RTKVHDA.sys, different version of course, so if they work for me it's understood this doesn't mean much

as it's x64, I went straight to recommend dosbox because the other pair of solutions, namely Glidos and dgVoodoo, are hardly expected to be viable there

do the initial fmv's sound good?
are ingame music & sound fx fine?

I don't know of an issue specific to ingame cutscenes, or to be more precise I do, but the one I recall concerned x86 and iirc dgVoodoo instead of dosbox, and then: poor sound quality instead of no sound at all, so it's questionable it could be relevant in your case (except that there's been no solution to it either 🙄 )

EDIT

maybe it's worth reporting that by the checks I've been doing,
as I repeat regarding Vista x86 anyway,
and in this case using dgVoodoo/ssdh as opposed to dosbox,
well
if I left vdmsound (soundblaster emulation used by dgVoodoo) out,
the fmv's were broken, but the *ingame* cutscenes were still OK!
IOW, no vdmsound/soundblaster setup & emulation activity appears to be needed for those cutscenes to play.

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 6 of 29, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fmv's are fine, and the sound everywhere else, except the in-game cut scenes. The cut scenes in CG are fine. It's just the in-game cut scenes. Also, what do you mean by "broken"? That problem that you mentioned may possibly be related because it involved poor sound quality and when I select Lara's house from the main menu the sound of Lara's voice is really hard to make out but only until you can see the picture, not when it's still black for a second.

Also, for some reason you can hear all of Lara's footsteps abnormally clearly. I don't mind, but it sounds kind of like what you described, except not in a cut scene (sigh).

Thanks 😢

Reply 8 of 29, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

doesn't seem to be any way to contact the person/people who run the site.

no worry, indeed they're all around here (Vogons) and usually check all the threads including this one:
the vogons forum, with the special dosbox sections, is the right place to discuss these issues

tommypou wrote:

what do you mean by "broken"?

that they crash, must Esc away to proceed, but note I've been checking this artificial no-vdmsound setup with the vdmsound/dgvoodoo/ssdh combo, which is different from dosbox setup

one question, when you installed dosbox, glide patch and the mandatory D3D9 patch by gulikoza, right?
then setup TR1, you did choose "autodetect soundcard" and IRQ=7, correct?

EDIT

tommypou wrote:

Also, for some reason you can hear all of Lara's footsteps abnormally clearly

well, that ought to be arrangeable by downsizing/operating the soundfx (vs. music) icon control in the options (spinning menu).

Last edited by gidierre on 2009-03-22, 10:01. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 11 of 29, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tommypou wrote:

The fmv's are fine, and the sound everywhere else, except the in-game cut scenes. The cut scenes in CG are fine. It's just the in-game cut scenes.

You mean like the cut scene were Lara confronts Lawson after you surface in the pond and he's waiting for you? I'll bet that when the game loads up and the main menu appears, there's no background music, right?

If so, I had the same problem when I played Tomb Raider under Windows 98. The FMVs have their own sound encoded with the video and the game plays its own sound effects, but the menu music and the audio for the in-game cutscenes is stored as audio tracks on the CD. In my case, it was a simple matter of putting the disc in my other drive so it could find them. If you have two CD/DVD drives, try that. If that doesn't work, I have some other simple suggestions that might help;

Go into the Windows Control Panel, click on Multimedia, click on the CD tab and see which drive letter is set as the system default for playing music. Try setting it for the first CD/DVD drive in your system, and put the disc in that drive. Also see that Digital Audio Extraction is enabled.

Check and see if your drive(s) have the audio cable hooked up to your sound card.

If none of these work, your problem is probably related to accessing the audio tracks from DOS which is outside my knowledge.

Hope this helps. 😀

Reply 12 of 29, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions, unfortunately none of them worked for me since we don't have the same kind of computer. Sorry for the lateness of my reply but I got sidetracked 😀 If anyone else has any new suggestions, I'm all ears 😕

Reply 13 of 29, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking into this problem further and it seems that there is a solution to this problem with Windows XP, VDMSound. Unfortunately I have 64-bit Vista.

If any body knows how I can get VDMSound to work on 64-bit Win Vista, or if anybody knows of something like VDMSound that will work on 64-bit Win Vista please let me know. 😕

Reply 15 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VDMSound won't work on 64-bit Windows versions, and VDOS32 is for Vista 32 only. DosBox is the route to go. If you successfully got TR working in DosBox, but still can't hear audio in cutscenes, I bet you haven't mounted correctly the CD-ROM drive into DosBox. First follow Rekrul's advices, and then read MiniMax's 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too):

60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Reply 16 of 29, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

If you successfully got TR working in DosBox, but still can't hear audio in cutscenes, I bet you haven't mounted correctly the CD-ROM drive into DosBox. First follow Rekrul's advices, and then read MiniMax's 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox

now, hadn't he mounted the cdrom right
don't you think he'd have immediately noticed that ambient music was broken, long before getting to any cutscene?

tommypou, read that 60" Guide
but consider that if you've been using my guide I mentioned in earlier post of mine from 2009-3-16 @ 11:51 pm
(which btw is not a "guide" but a complete and customized dosbox setup in those zip's)
then you have already set it up with the best possible settings, of course imvho.

Reply 17 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gidierre wrote:

now, hadn't he mounted the cdrom right
don't you think he'd have immediately noticed that ambient music was broken, long before getting to any cutscene?

Ambient music is missing in Sold Out release of Tomb Raider.

Reply 18 of 29, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

Ambient music is missing in Sold Out release of Tomb Raider.

sure, but afaik the OP didn't say he has Sold Out so I assume he has the full version.

Reply 19 of 29, by tommypou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually the background music does seem to be missing although I'm way more concerned about the plot line so I really thought nothing of it.

I'm looking into some things that may help. Thanks a lot for your replies. 😀