VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Arzy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I got the game(Magic: The Gahtering) to work in Win XP Pro without too many problems. The simple way of doing this is to just download all the official pathces mtg125a thru mtg125c installing them and then running the game without any compatibility modes selected. It was running a bit too fast so I started to use Turbo to slow down my system, but for some reason while using turbo, mouse clicks are extremely exagerated, a single click in game results in about 2 double clicks. One other small problem is that some text doesn't show up in game but that isn't serious. My question though is, where can I find a better slow down utility for windows that would work with this game? Tried using VDMS, but that didn't work unfortunately...

Arzy

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Arzy It was running a bit too fast so I started to use Turbo to slow down my system, but for some reason while using turbo, mouse clicks are extremely exagerated, a single click in game results in about 2 double clicks. One other small problem is that some text doesn't show up in game...

On my list of "Why I hate to use SlowDown tools".

My question though is, where can I find a better slow down utility for windows that would work with this game? Tried using VDMS, but that didn't work unfortunately...

Two questions:
1) Why are you using a Windows tool meant only for DOS programs...with a Windows program?
2) Why are you using a program designed to emulate DOS soundcard audio as a tool to slow down a Windows program?

Reply 2 of 9, by Arzy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lack of knowledge would be the largest part of my answer I guess, for the remaining part it would have to be that I have been using Turbo simply because it worked and I haven't been able to find any utilities for windows that slow down this game. As for VDMS, it was just a shot in the dark 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only thing that can be done to slow down Windows games is to steal clock cycles with another program. (That's what Turbo does.) It results in the game being 'stuck' for X number of cycles per second and then allowing the game to run its instructions for the other Y cycles.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Arzy As for VDMS, it was just a shot in the dark

Read the documentation for the programs you run. Unless you don't mind losing everything on your drive.

...better slow down utility for windows

It's not likely that you will find one. Like Snover said, these "slowdown" programs steal clock-cycles, which means your computer's performance will tank while running them. That's also why you get those annoying side-effects like the clicking problem you described.

This is also why I hate using them. Basically, you need to stick with "too fast" or run it on an older/slower PC.

Reply 7 of 9, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about Moslo Deluxe and Moslo 4BIZ? I've heard that 4BIZ especially helps Windows software. You could even throttle the whole Windows (9x) OS, if you so desired.

More on http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/

I'm expecting one of VOGONS' readers one day to do extensive testing with 4BIZ. One of these days, I hope...

Reply 8 of 9, by Nolan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey im totally new about anything that goes on with computers and stuff and well i just brought mtg and of course cant not make it work on windows xp so can some one PLEASE HELP ME how to make it work. Also if someone is going to help, you must explain it to me VERY slowly cause i dont know crap about computers plus have a lot of patience cause i intend to ask A LOT of questions.

Reply 9 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. A little off-topic but i have managed to keep a good pace on some games using the slider on VDMSound's advanced options tab. I am at work now and i don't remember the exact names, something like cap DOS frequency or something like that and specify using an amount of cpu power.

P.S: Glad to see Nich Sehr Gut is posting again.... 😎