VOGONS

Motorhead

Topic actions

First post, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I'm trying to run Motorhead on my Windows 7 x64. The installation went fine, but when I'm trying to run the game, after the intro movie, it crashes. The screen goes black, and when I press Alt+Tab, this message appears:

beztytuurr.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any ideas?

My PC specs: Windows 7 x64, AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M300 2x2,1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4350 with newest drivers.

Reply 1 of 64, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have tried right-mouse clicking on the motor.exe file and using the compatibility options correct ???

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 2 of 64, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course. I've forgotten to mention that, sorry. I've tried to run the game in both Windows 95 and 98/ME modes, they don't work.

Reply 3 of 64, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was my only trick as I don't have this game to test out with 😉

Hopefully somebody on this great board will have it and give you some pointers....

Reply 4 of 64, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you install the relevant patches from http://www.patches-scrolls.de ?

Reply 7 of 64, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be clear, this is the title from DICE back in 1998 ???

Reply 8 of 64, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno why you ask that. The only other thing it could be with that name is some lame band.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 64, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

It turned up for me via the search box, and there's a second index that has it (?): http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dp.cgi?lang=eng&ref=ps&sys=pc&cap=m

Silly of me, thanks 😀 But this is exactly the same patch as I downloaded from Motorhead Tools. No effect, the game still crashes.

BigBodZod wrote:

Just to be clear, this is the title from DICE back in 1998 ???

Precisely. To be 100% sure, here is a gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXAFVhJrrHQ&feature=related

Reply 10 of 64, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would be easier to google for it if there weren't a stupid band with the same name 🙁

Reply 11 of 64, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Dunno why you ask that. The only other thing it could be with that name is some lame band.

Hey now, you dissing my bud Lemmy 😉

I was pretty much thinking this was the case, just never played it is all...

I stopped playing most racing games back in my Amiga days and just recenly played a little Gran Turismo on my PS3...

Looks like I may have to start looking into this genre a little more then.

Reply 13 of 64, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found an interesting thing: in the game's folder there is a file named Error.txt, which contains these lines:

DirectInput Acquire keyboard failed.
DirectInputInit failed.

Maybe it is related to the problem?

EDIT:

I've made some progress. I've disabled the compatibility mode and tried to run the game using MS Application Compatibility Toolkit ver. 5.6 instead. I've run the game with ForceDirectDrawEmulation fix and guess what... it started working 😀

I can enter the main menu and start a race, the problem is that when I cross the finish line, the game crashes and this message appears:

errorgs.jpg

Any ideas?

Reply 14 of 64, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this game running very nicely in Wine 1.3.x on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I used the dgVoodoo Glide wrapper to play the 3Dfx version and it runs stable. - maybe you should try that.

Reply 16 of 64, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

dgVoodoo suffices for Motorhead, the reason I didn't choose nGlide is because it's not yet functional with Wine.

Reply 17 of 64, by tgomola

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use nGlide, works fine for other games 😉 I think the solution lies within the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit, I just need to find the right fix to use.

Reply 18 of 64, by daemmon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

can you tell me how you got the game installer to work on win7 x64?

//nevermind - i got it to install, but have run into the same error you described in the first post

Reply 19 of 64, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried running it in XP mode?