VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bulcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got Quake III Team Arena, and is requires 16-bit, but I have Windows 7 so it doesn't work. I used DOSBOX, mounted my d drive (Cd rom), hit d:, then hit dir, and ran setup.exe. A message pops up and says "This program requires Microsoft Windows", I have never been so confused in my life. :depressed:

Reply 1 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CD-ROM works and installs fine on Windows 7. It uses 32-bit Demoshield and Installshield binaries. It does not require patches and it damn well isn't a dos game, come on if you look on your DISC it says "Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT4 (SP3)", does it say DOS? NO!!! So "This program requires Microsoft Windows" perfectly means what it means - PEBKAC error.

Last edited by leileilol on 2011-06-04, 03:42. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 12, by Bulcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only reason I'm using dosbox is because the error message: "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program." I already have the original Quake III installed on my laptop. I have Windows 7.

Reply 4 of 12, by Bulcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I feel like a freaking idiot here, if I'm not supposed to use dosbox, and my computer won't even let me load the game, what am I supposed to do? Sorry if the answers obvious and I'm making an ass of myself.

Reply 6 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bulcon wrote:

Okay, I feel like a freaking idiot here, if I'm not supposed to use dosbox, and my computer won't even let me load the game, what am I supposed to do? Sorry if the answers obvious and I'm making an ass of myself.

Always use setup.exe on the CD. Never use autorun or any launcher programs.

If this continues to be too difficult for you there is always Quake 3 on Steam.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Always use setup.exe on the CD. Never use autorun or any launcher programs.

If this continues to be too difficult for you there is always Quake 3 on Steam.

That is correct; a lot of these old autorun programs are incompatible with 64-bit Windows. Try going into the Windows Explorer (Windows key + E as a quick shortcut to access your drives), right click the drive that your CD-ROM is in, and click "Open" (do not click "AutoPlay"), and then find and execute the setup.exe file.

To prevent it from happening in the future, you can do this:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/dis … y-in-windows-7/

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 9 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Press Windows Logo button on the taskbar (previously called Start Button) which is on the lower left corner by default.

(A menu will pop up).

2. Move your mouse cursor and place it on "Computer".

3. Press the left mouse button. (You will hear the click sound on the mouse.) The left button is on the left side of the mouse, if you are using a right-handed mouse.

4. Another "window" will pop up.

5. Navigate (move your mouse cursor to the icon which represents the CD/DVD drive in your system where you have inserted your cd.

6. Now right-click (press the right mouse button) over that icon.

7. One more window will pop-up.

8. Navigate again to "Explore" from the sub-menu.

9. Another window will pop up.

10. Now look for a file called SETUP. If you have default options enabled, you won't be able to see the extensions of the files. There may be more than one SETUP file listed, and the executable file (the file with .EXE extension) will be the one with a beautiful colored icon.

11. Now DOUBLE-CLICK on this icon. (Double clicking means, press the left-mouse button TWICE in a quick succession).

12. This will open up, yet, another window which will begin the installation process. And then more windows wil pop up until you complete the installation process.

13. After installation, to load the game, press the Windows button on the lower left corner again, (press means click with your left mouse button, NOT pressing on the screen directly, unless of course, if you have a touchscreen.) Then navigate to Quake III menu on the Programs menu, and click again on the Quake III Team Arena Icon.

13. Welcome to Windows. You'll get used to it!

🤣

QUAKE II onwards are NOT DOS Games!!!

DOSBOX is ONLY for DOS Games and Programs.

And, uh,...did I mention that Quake III is not a Dos Game already?

🤣

(jk)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 12, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forget Quake III on steam.

The best, purest way to play iD's classic is indeed through the original Quake III, without Team Arena, and upgrade the game with Orange Smoothie Productions (OSP) and the official 1.32 patch. Then, tweak all the settings in the console to make the game as pimped and as smooth as possible. What you end up with is probably the best PC FPS game created thus far.

However, the servers are now dead, with the only players left being blatant cheats and hackers. That scene died a number of years ago. As Q3 is really a multiplayer only game, unless you plan on playing LAN with your friends, forget about it in 2011.

You should instead go the Quake Live website, download Quake Live for free which is basically Quake 3 with even more tweaks and better HW support, played via your browser in full screen OpenGL, for free, with over 250,000 active players. The game will point you in the direction of servers with players of a similar skill level so you stand a chance of improving, maybe even winning, without becoming frustrated with dying every 5 seconds.

The only thing they changed drastically was the weapon damage and, while it annoyed me a great deal as they basically neutered many of the guns, it is good times for newbies as it means better players find it harder to dominate as you can absorb more shots before you die. They also made the game a lot smoother and finally sorted the control system out to make it now feel 99.9% like Quake III OSP. Just try it 😁

But keep that Team Arena and Quake III CD. It's a piece of gaming history.

John Carmack himself admits that Q3 was his greatest success, and in my opinion probably the closest to perfection a game has been, in regards to doing exactly what it set out to do. The players made it even better.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 11 of 12, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iris030380 wrote:

While I agree most of what you said, for old gamers missing the classic Quake III gameplay, I would recommend leileilol's OpenArena. As well as having the same weapon damages and control system, it is able to run on almost every computer that ran the original Quake III. The same cannot be said for Quake Live.

Reply 12 of 12, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The hardware requirements of Quake Live are high compared to the original Quake 3. I think to max out Quake III arena on OSP with an (essential) constant 125fps, you would need a Pentium 3 1Ghz with a Geforce3Ti or ATI 9600 g/card (in 1024x786). Quake Live adds a whole new set of effects as well as the overhead of running under a modern OS via your browser. I had trouble playing it on a laptop with a mobile P4 1.3Ghz and the onboard graphics in 640x480.

I think to play in a decent widescreen res with full graphics, Quake Live would need something like an Athlon 64 3000+ with a Geforce 6800GT or an ATI x800. That is on full detail of course. So not too high for todays standard. Pretty much bottom end of current hardware even worth considering for a gaming rig, but not classed as retro.

Remember in a game like Quake 3 or Quake Live, FPS is king. I'd take a constant smooth FPS rate over nice graphics any day. And I REALLY need one of those 120Hz LCD monitors. Cos nothing is as smooth as Quake 3 running at 120Hz! 😁

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66