VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bobo123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello. this is the deal. i run windows 98 through dosbox. everything ok. but now i wonder how to do if i want to play a windows98 game i have on cd-rom disc, while windows98 still is running on dosbox? is that possible? or is there any other solution that i can use of?
the game just work under windows95/98 and not through dos/dosbox itself.
hope u understand what i mean.. 😀

thx for help

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Rip the game to image and use something like daemon tools to mount it. Makes you need a bigger hd image for win9x

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosquest, you can do this but then, when you boot the hard drive image in dosbox the mounted iso will not be accessible. So, your advise is useless.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by bobo123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what a member here pm to me:

"If I'm right you want to play some Windows games inside Dosbox, don't you?

If that's the case, you have to follow some steps ( if you haven't already ).
You'll need:

-a program that let's you edit *.iso and *.img files( WinImage is pretty good )
-Daemon Tools 3.47 ( that's the last version that is able to run on win98 )
-a burning program to create *.iso files ( if you don't have one, I can recommend Ashampoo Burning Studio to do this job. It's freeware but you need to register to get your key)

Here are the steps to follow:

-install WinImage on your host system. Be sure to install the program so it's only for "testing".
-next you have to create the *.iso of you CD-ROM. With Ashampoo it's pretty easy so you'll find out yourself in seconds =) ( otherwise just write me a line )
-next just open the storage for your Windows98 with WinImage. ( e.g. Win98.img is the name I'm using ) Now you can work with Drag & Drop.
Just drag the Daemon Tools installer and the *.iso file onto WinImage.
It'll write the data to your image. Be sure to save as your ready. There's a small blue floppy icon you can use .
-if you done that, just start your well I call it "Winbox".
-install Daemon Tools. It will want you to get an USB-Port to be able to use.
so there you have to install another package before. I'll send you a little zip with all you're needing inside.
-restart the Winbox.
-Just mount your *.iso with Daemon Tools and run your game.
When you're done, don't forget to unmount the *.iso or you'll get problems next time you start Windows98 and open the explorer"

I tried this but i´ve stuck at the point when i should install deamon tools, because deamon tools and the game img file isnt visible in dos or when i boot win98. But its visible in winimg. I dont know whats wrong... The member countiuned to help me but still no progress.

Its not the end of the world if its not going to work. But what should u else do with win98 if not play old windows games(?)

Thx for your help.

Last edited by bobo123 on 2011-12-29, 06:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by bobo123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Rip the game to image and use something like daemon tools to mount it. Makes you need a bigger hd image for win9x

what do u mean with "Makes you need a bigger hd image for win9x" ?

Reply 6 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, the normal guide recommends a 200 or 400 MB hard drive image for use with Windows 9x on Dosbox. That is a bit small if it should hold a CD Rom image as well since those could be as big as 700 MB (when ignoring ISO standards to counter piracy). Fitting 700 MB into 200/400 MB is ... challenging 😉