VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I am thinking of creating a low cost file server with win2k pro with sp4, now I am cheap so I am going with 2k (shh don't tell micro$ft that) because I have a serial saying around, I am wondering if I connect it to the internet can I use a partition of it as a network drive that will be able to be accessed by a windows 7 computer?

Reply 1 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Hi, I am thinking of creating a low cost file server with win2k pro with sp4, now I am cheap so I am going with 2k (shh don't tell micro$ft that) because I have a serial saying around, I am wondering if I connect it to the internet can I use a partition of it as a network drive that will be able to be accessed by a windows 7 computer?

You should be able to share a partition and/or folder with the proper permissions, even if you make a READ only type of permission.

You may have to setup the AUTHENTICATED USER with full access rights too, perhaps with GUEST read only access.

The trick I find is to setup your LAN as a WORKGROUP and make all machines that will connect and share between each other be part of this same WORKGROUP.

I would also make sure all the machines are on the same subnet too, which I would assume they are if you have a DHCP server running as well.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 3 of 4, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my home, I have 6 working pcs. Three of them run windows 7, one windows XP, one windows 98 and the other windows 3.11/95. If I share a folder on the older ones, I can access it from the newest, and transfer data. I was glad to find a driver for my printer for windows 98, and I can also print on it from any of the other machines. The only problem I've got, it's that I have also installed windows 2000 on the 98 pc, and it cannot access the network at all(local and internet), while settings seem correct. I've got to try another nic I think.