VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 96, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the tests you ran, it must be a bad CPU or motherboard. Try running OCCT to see if it finds any errors in your CPU. Use the Large Data Set Test Mode.

Reply 21 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not used OCCT before, I just downloaded it, do I need to set anything up or just click "ON"? And will it take 1hr to complete?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 22 of 96, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can run an infinite test as well, just remember to set Large Data Set on Test Mode because it's better for finding errors.

Reply 23 of 96, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would try to extract unprotected game from DRMed executable if I were you (for ease).
Then, if you really want to "debug" (without assembly knowledge) use process monitor.

You should see where the game tries to access files but fails

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 24 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran OCCT on infinite for 1 hour and nothing seemed to happen apart from a pretty selection of graphics being generated. How do I know if anything is amiss?

mirh, I think I will try Process Monitor. It's not the protection that's crashing the game, as they don't all use the same sort, and if I try a no-CD they still crash. I'm on the verge of giving up and whacking them all into a VMWare Player XP machine 😒

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 25 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Process Monitor. NFSHP2 seemed to crash out after a bunch of hardware (specifically joystick) related commands. I tried the game with a joystick plugged in vs nothing (have tried it with nothing in USB too before) but still crashes.

I also tried GP Championship 2 (an updated version of Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix Championship 1998) and that seems to crash more randomly, plus, unlike NFSHP2, the game runs under svchost, instead of natively.

So nothing found out too useful yet. I think the virtual XP machine is coming soon...

Reply 27 of 96, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I ran OCCT on infinite for 1 hour and nothing seemed to happen apart from a pretty selection of graphics being generated. How do I know if anything is amiss?

mirh, I think I will try Process Monitor. It's not the protection that's crashing the game, as they don't all use the same sort, and if I try a no-CD they still crash. I'm on the verge of giving up and whacking them all into a VMWare Player XP machine 😒

Joysticks ...
Well, this remember me there are lots of missing DirectInput dlls in newer windows.. including dimap.dll and dinput8.dll

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 28 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, although the fact it crashes on a fresh install of Win7 64bit at home, but works fine at work, makes me think it's something weirder on my system alone.

Reply 29 of 96, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried fixed .exes with any of these games? If the fixed .exe works you may have a faulty CD/DVD/BD drive. Check for a firmware update for it. If the games use the same copy protection system, like SecuROM or Starforce, you may have to update their drivers.

Reply 30 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried no-CD exes for NFSHP2 and Supercar Street Challenge, it didn't change things. Both of the games I once or twice got into the menu for, but they then locked up trying to start the game.

Reply 32 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can try, but how would a benchmarking program help determine that? I've got about 450 games working fine on my PC though, so I don't think it's unstable.

I wish more people with hardware like mine could try the games (or demos of them) to see what happens.

I might check to see what version of DirectX those games each use too, in case there's something in that.

Reply 33 of 96, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I agree that more people testing the games would be good. Next time I'm at the unit I'll bring back the others I haven't tried yet.

As a byproduct of this thread I re-acquainted myself with the SuperBike franchise and was excited to see that quite a number were released post 2001 - eBay here I come... and MotoGP too:)

Reply 35 of 96, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, if other Games Work then the PSU might be big enough.

I had a PC where Games Crash When the 3d card initialize.

And and another PC which had a AMD X2 CPU can't run some Tools like ATI Tray Tools.
On another Pc with other Maindord it works.
Both (the working and non-working PC) use a fresh Windows install from the same CD and the same Drivers.

Reply 36 of 96, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a new win7 install (only win7 pro) Drivers, origin and steam and 2 Games (battlefield 3 and construction sim 2015).

If you Like i can Test some Games for you under that System.
Cpu is an Intel core2quad and Mainboard schould be Intel-chipset.

Reply 38 of 96, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe some sort of chipset or management driver that is required for more stability is missing, since it happens on a fresh OS install. Have you tried disabling HT in the BIOS? Maybe too many logical cores are causing this. Forcing 1 core in Windows might not be effective enough when HT is still on as the cores are not physical.

mirh wrote:

What if you try to swap graphics card between your computers? I mean.. it could be a problem with nvidia drivers

He already tested with the onboard Intel video and the results were the same.

Reply 39 of 96, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have pretty similar specs to you so tried the Need For Speed 2 demo you linked to and it worked fine for me, my specs are:-

Windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i7-4790k 4ghz overclocked to 4.4ghz
16GB RAM
Asus Z97-A motherboard
Auzentech X-Fi Home Theatre HD X-Fi sound card
Nvidia Geforce GTX 770
Standard Sony HDTV or Dell monitor for gaming (no gsync)

One thing to try, add the game to the list of programs excluded from DEP - Data execution prevention. That has cured bizarre crashes in games for me before, even when said games seemed to work just fine on other similar hardware.

play-old-pc-games.com