VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I should have said that I did that, via msconfig (2048MB) but still crashed.

I also noted that my RAM is rated as 2400MHz (OC) and in the UEFI BIOS it said it's only running at 1600MHz, so I changed it from Auto to 2400Mhz and... no difference, they still crash!

I've reinstalled Win8.1 64bit this morning, so I can test out all the demos above. I'm also trying to seek some alternative RAM to try out (hopefully 2GB, as my old WinXP machine had 2GB (4x512MB) and the games worked, but that was 32bit).

I might check the RAM timings again in the BIOS tonight, as I have noted the correct settings for CAS timing, etc. I'll also try with the blu ray drive removed (gotta try everything!).

This is seriously a weird issue...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 61 of 96, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not a ram frequency issue...
I'm quite sure you could run memtest for days without an error, if modules have been rated for OC they'll be fine

It would be interesting if you could test vista/7 32 bit imo

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 62 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to try some other RAM tonight I borrowed from work, it's DDR3 1333MHz but only 2GB. That'll confirm if it's RAM or not.

I've also just got a copy of Win7 Pro 32bit (same as I run at work) so will see what that does.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 64 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updates: tried without blu ray (as ran demos) and all crashed, apart from F1 Championship Season 2000, so let's ignore that one.

Swapped RAM for older 2GB RAM, made no difference.

Tried disabling some BIOS features, again, no difference.

About to try Win7 32bit...

Reply 65 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, well that's just about it then. Win7 32bit also crashes the same way! So I've ruled out everything down to motherboard, processor or UEFI BIOS settings...

Incidentally when I ran NFSHP2 demo on Win7 32bit with no compatibility, it just booted with a black screen with white arrow on it. Doing alt+tab at that point took me back to the desktop, where this error message was waiting, not sure if it's of any help:

---------------------------
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (exception error)
(Hit Cntrl-C to copy this info to the clipboard)

The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Version: 225
EIP = 0x6C7123BC
ESP = 0x0012F598 EBP = 0x0012F5D0
EAX = 0x0B2E7FC4
EBX = 0x0B2E729C
ECX = 0x0B2E6C90
EDX = 0x00000138
ESI = 0x0B281A40 EDI = 0x00000000
OK

Reply 66 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, so I've now ruled out the following:
- Blu ray drive (tried with/without and tried demos that don't use it)
- Type of hard disk (tried SSD and normal)
- Graphics card (tried GTX 980 and Intel HD 4600 integrated)
- Sound card (tried Soundblaster ZXr and onboard audio)
- RAM (tried 2400MHz 16GB/8GB and 1333MHz 2GB)
- Operating System (tried Win8.1 64bit, Win7 64bit, Win7 32bit)
- Monitor (tried ROG Swift with GSYNC and old LCD monitor (no higher than 1024x768!)

Also tried tweaking various UEFI BIOS features.

At this stage, I can only deduce (based on BuckoA51's PC using the same motherboard/processor as me and working on the games that don't for me) that it's something to do with my processor, UEFI BIOS settings, or the switches on the motherboard (which enable various overclocking features - all are set as disabled currently).

Reply 68 of 96, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

At this stage, I can only deduce (based on BuckoA51's PC using the same motherboard/processor as me and working on the games that don't for me) that it's something to do with my processor, UEFI BIOS settings, or the switches on the motherboard (which enable various overclocking features - all are set as disabled currently).

Or it could be that your hardware is just physically defective.

Reply 69 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Or it could be that your hardware is just physically defective.

Possibly, but unlikely given it only affects around 20-30 games out of 500. Generally games using lower than DirectX 8.1

Reply 70 of 96, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wish I had my stash of older racing games on hand to test with W7 64-bit to help you out. You need more real world results to compare your situation with. Off hand I would not be surprised if it were something as mundane as system 'compatibility' given it's effecting only 20-30 games out of 500.. even if other people manage to get some of them to run. As I reported earlier, the two of yours I *did* try didn't run on my W7 system.

It's been a fascinating thread to follow however!

Reply 71 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to check in with BuckoA51 about how his motherboard BIOS is set up, as NFSHP2 demo on page 3 works for him.

Fascinatingly, when I ran NFSHP2 demo on Win7 64bit it started showing the opening video then crashed during playing it. It's always a crash at random times (usually when a game is launched), but sometimes I get to see more before it dies. Frustrating, as I have more games to install, but a growing stash of shortcuts named "- BROKEN (crashes) - gamename" which I want to solve (ideally without them all being in a virtual XP machine!

Reply 72 of 96, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stupid question, but have you tried different BIOS revisions? Don't think it would affect anything but I don't remember seeing that mentioned...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 73 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried it with the initial BIOS that came with the PC, and also flashed it to the latest version. I have a suspicion that maybe one of the motherboard jumpers or switches might need turning on, I'll compare with BuckoA51 at some point this weekend.

Reply 74 of 96, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cmon.. a bios setting, really?
If there's really a problem it must be something stupid we didn't consider..

Did you try both 41000Hz and 48000Hz audio? Are you running default windows audio driver or did you update them? Whatever is the case, try the other.
What's your monitor refresh rate and resolution? Try Something standard like 1024x468 and especially 60Hz refresh rate.

And Windows doesn't come with updated directx by default.. I hope you keep updating it too..

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 75 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Little update: I tried enabling EPU, TPU and EZ XMP switches on my motherboard = no difference.

I tried disabling DEP from NFSHP2.exe specifically = no difference.

mirh, let's see:
- I tried disabling audio altogether, as well as both those hz settings. Tried disabling various enhancement settings both in SB control panels and audio settings too.
- Monitor I tried both my ROG Swift (loads of res/refresh rates) and an ancient NEC LCD at 1024x768 60hz (so it doesn't have a huge list of resolutions). This (and using integrated graphics Intel HD 4600) helped F1 CS 2000 and Le Mans 24 Hours 2002 edition, so I've ruled them both out now, as they were just hanging up on my graphics card/monitor. The other games (NFSHP2 and SSC in particular) can get to the menus before crashing (same with Blip & Blop which isn't even 3D!).
- I tried that DirectX installer, after trying to install it it says "Installation Complete - DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary"

Reply 76 of 96, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

- I tried that DirectX installer, after trying to install it it says "Installation Complete - DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed already. No installation is necessary"

But did it download something at least?
Because I am sure that school computer (win 8.1) required it before I could launch crysis demo.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 78 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

I'm sure he did that before starting the thread. Have you tried Win7 32-bits?

Yep, crashed the same, rather odd. Although I have gone back to my RAM, after testing the smaller, slower 2GB RAM from work.

Reply 79 of 96, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still it goes on. The old (released as free) Small Rockets games (Jetboats Superchamps 1 & 2 and Kayak Extreme) all crash, although Extreme Wakeboarding demo (from the same developers, D-Inter) works fine.

I'm hoping BuckoA51 can get back to me with his UEFI settings, so I can try them.