VOGONS

win95 emulator for winXP

Topic actions

First post, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anything like DOSbox but than for win95 games?
Example: The Feeble Files is a game that only runs with win95.

ehehe Winbox maybe?

thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP, maybe?

- You have some compatibility settings. Left-click on the .exe of the game and choose Properties.

- You have the Application Compatibility Toolkit. Download version 2.6 and try changing some settings.

- You have NTCompatible.com. Search the database.

Reply 2 of 10, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in case of Feeble Files (and some others):

-You have some compatibility settings: doesn't fully emulate, only support.

-You have NTCompatible.com. Search the database: they say: "Does not run. Period. Talked to Adventure Soft and they said it is a naitive win95/98 application."

-You have the Application Compatibility Toolkit. Download version 2.6 and try changing some settings: can you give me a link?

thanks for the support but I think I still need some kind of emulator that works with win95 only games...

Reply 3 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's called Microsoft Virtual PC. Feeble Files works just fine in it (running Win98SE of course) for me.

Reply 4 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or Bochs. I have Win95 running as the guest OS inside Bochs 2.1 with WinXP as the host OS.

Here is a picture.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 10, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well that sounds really good... I never got the chance to run the feeble files
on my new pc. Can you give me a link to this "bochs" and "Virtual pc" ?
Never heard of it so it might be difficult to use eh?

thanks

Reply 7 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Virtual PC's leaves a lot to be desired. That is the main reason that I don't use Virtual PC.

Please explain what the 'lot to be desired' is! I use any tool available for the purposes of getting something specific to run. For Virtual PC, that meant Feeble Files and Amber Journey's Beyond. I wouldn't run all my ancient games in it simply 'cause there are other (& better) tools around for the purpose.

tomlow: You have to buy it.

Reply 8 of 10, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

do I have to buy "bochs" too?
and is there nothing simulair that I can download for free?

(yes i am a cheap bastard)

thanks

Reply 9 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use a search engine.... http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

It's free in purchase cost but not in 'time and effort' 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
collector wrote:

MiniMax, what is the sound quality like with Bochs? Virtual PC's leaves a lot to be desired. That is the main reason that I don't use Virtual PC.

Sorry, collector - I can not really tell. I get a nice Ta-Da! sound when Win95 starts up (through an emulated SoundBlaster16), so that works. But I have not been using the Win95 install for anything, so how a game would sound, I do not really know.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions