VOGONS

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to a tip from a forum posting at ntcompatible.com I managed to get Extreme-G2 (by Acclaim) up and running on WindowsXP.

Here's a step-by-step guide (if you have this game, or perhaps if you downloaded it from an abandonware site!):

1. Download and install Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit. Version 3.0 is available here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/list/appcomp.asp (Version 4.0 is in development to help WindowsXP SP2 compatibility).
2. Start the Compatbility Administrator Tool, a new database should have been created for you. Right-click on the database and give it a useful name "My Game Fixes" or similar.
3. Click "Fix".
4. Enter name "Extreme-G2" and vendor "Acclaim" then use "Browse..." to locate the "xg2pc.exe" file in the Extreme-G2 folder.
5. Click "Next >" on the Compatibility Modes page.
6. In the big drop-down list, check (tick) the box next to "IgnoreDebugOutput".
7. Click "Test Run..." to make sure game works! Then quit the game.
8. Click "Next >" on the Compatibility Fixes page.
9. Click "Finish" on the Matching Information page.
10. Use the "Save" button to save the database somewhere useful!
11. Once saved, click "File" then choose "Install" and the fix (plus any others you make in the database) will be installed so you do not need to use the Application Compatibility Toolkit to run the game in future!
12. In Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs the database you created will be listed. If you uninstall it the fixes will be removed.
13. Don't forget to set screen resolution/which graphics card to use in the shortcut (usually found on the Desktop when the game installs; otherwise follow the game's readme.txt file).

Ice

Reply 1 of 6, by Very Old Man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks very much for the tip. Is it possible to fix the executable itself so that I don't need to install the ACT on another system?

Reply 2 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fix only switches off some features of XP, it doesn't patch the EXE as far as I know. You could, however, search the registry for lines with "xg2pc.exe" or similar, then export those as .reg files and use them on another PC, as long as the game's installed in the same location (maybe)!

Ice

Reply 3 of 6, by -sil3ncer-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there VirtuaIceMan !

I have that game in my dusty box now for a loads of years and nothing helped so far. I tried that workaround you explained very good myself a few months ago and it worked for me not as the way it worked for you, so I gave up and didn´t followed it more.

And when I saw your advice here, I just had to retry it and get a closer look on it again 😀

BUT - it is still the same:

On my machine (specs see downstairs), I just get GFX corruption and glitches all the way. The game loads, the sound plays, but when the introduction comes, there are some minor grafical errors and later on the menu is _not_ readable, so I can´t choose any options. There are just white squares to see on the menu options. Just to press a few buttons in a random, none special order, I come into the game, but the grafic in the game is also partly lost... many details are not there, just silhouettes.

I tried that game also with a dual-boot on Win98; it is always the same. I just get corruption and glitches on the GFX.

It is for sure a problem with the Nvidia-Card and/or the driver.
I remember playing that game properly on Win98 and a GeForce4.

I also tried different tweak-tools and changed some options [but I have to say, I also tried it on a new fresh system without any tweaks in any case you need to know =)]

My Specs:
=======
- Win98/XP Pro Dual-Boot
- GeForce 6800 with 66.72 drivers.
- AMD Athlon64 @ 2GHz
- Creative Audigy2

So, maybe you have an advice for that problem. As I dunno know your specs, I can´t find an imagine and can´t do any comparisms for that.

Greetings,

-sil3ncer-

Reply 4 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an ATI Radeon 9800XT, sorry!

It does sound like a graphics card issue though so I'm not sure there's much else you can do 😜

Ice

Reply 6 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got Nvidia 7800GS+ now and I too have missing textures everywhere. I think the game doesn't like Nvidia...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor