VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Few days ago, it has come to my attention that Soulbringer is another one of those games that don't work with dgVoodoo and made a patch for it. Now I've upgraded the same patch to provide just a little better compatibility with ancient DirectX APIs. If nothing else, it works smoothly, setting gamma with F2 and F3 keys work, EAX executable works. GOG version for example seems to have noticeable stuttering issues, can't change gamma, EAX executable is broken. There might be a similar situation with Steam version. From the ReadMe:

This patch is intended to solve certain issues that occur on modern systems, related to game's usage of ancient DirectX APIs. It also enables the game to run via dgVoodoo DirectX wrapper. The main goal of this patch was to get the game running properly on all machines I have at home, which have graphics cards of all popular vendors (NVIDIA, AMD and Intel) and running Windows 10. The following changes have been implemented:

• Pass DDCREATE_EMULATIONONLY for DirectDraw objects used for intro cinematics, prevents the Fatal error message on startup or black screen during cinematics, depending on graphics drivers.
  • Call SetAppCompatData(12, 0) in ddraw.dll to disable maximized windowed mode on Windows 8+, allows the game to run in real fullscreen mode on those systems and restores ability to change gamma with F2 and F3 keys.
  • Delay execution of DllMain logic of rendering libraries to the point when the LoadLibrary call returns (startup hang prevention and dgVoodoo compatibility).
  • Included registry fix which disables Windows' interfering with the game launcher. This interference can make the game crash or not start when ran through launcher under certain circumstances.

The instructions are in the ReadMe. Hopefully it works well. BTW, I've noticed that the retail version refuses to uninstall if you change the game files, so you may want to keep the backup.

Attachments

Last edited by UCyborg on 2017-01-25, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.
Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2 of 4, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will do. I also usually spread awareness by putting such patches on PCGamingWiki as well.

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 3 of 4, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated the ZIP file with registry fix for palette issues in software mode under native DirectX and uploaded it to PCGamingWiki, it's waiting for approval.

Reply 4 of 4, by Don Meu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, I have win10 64bit Radeon HD 5700.
the GOG version of the game doesn't start at all with my graphics card or better it starts as a background process and nothing else.
UCyborg's patch lets the game start and play very smooth and I was very happy.
it also corrected the GOG version at the start of the game, when Allis Ham enters the hut from the wrong side.

but now the issues I encountered:
1) the cinematic intro plays jerkily, not a big problem though;
2) selecting dx7, I experienced a crash in the north forest at the beginning of the game (too fast fps related to?);
3) the major issue for me, which prevents me to use this patch anymore, is that if you stay in the main menu (the one with the music, that is to say), and wait for a while, the hard disk will start to work endlessly: it is started by the windows process sysmain, try at your own risk.

it's a pity, because playing the patch with dx6 is fantastic.
I hope the author could find a solution to this nasty bug.
ciao!