Rank

ASUS Z97-k Motherboard
i7-4790K @4.0-4.4Ghz
16Gb DDR3 RAM
Noctua NH-L12 Low profile Air Cooler
Gigabyte Geforce GTX760 OC Edition with windforce cooler and 4Gb GDDR5 RAM
Windows 7 (x64) SP1
Latest Nvidia Display Drivers
27" ASUS VG278 120Hz 3D Monitor with Nvidia 3D Vision 2 (3D Disabled for non 3D ready games)
Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G502 Proteus Core Customizable Gaming Mouse
Logitech F710 Wireless Controller
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Flightstick

AVP 2 insta-crashes on startup as is ("AVP2.exe Has Stopped Working" Error Message) I have tried in all resolutions and None of the compatibility settings work either.
AVP starts on DGVoodoo but is so glitched the game is unplayable.
I tried every so-called solution I could google and AVP2 insta-crashes EVERY TIME 🙁

Reply 1 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hoover1979 wrote:

AVP 2 insta-crashes on startup as is ("AVP2.exe Has Stopped Working" Error Message) I have tried in all resolutions and None of the compatibility settings work either.
I tried every so-called solution I could google and AVP2 insta-crashes EVERY TIME 🙁

Is it a CD install? Did you patch the game? I don't think compatibility settings are needed.

Reply 2 of 15, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Technically you don't even need AVP2.exe, that's just a launcher. You can run the game from a batchfile.

This is the one I use:

lithtech.exe -windowtitle "Aliens vs. Predator 2" -rez AVP2.rez -rez sounds.rez -rez Alien.rez -rez Marine.rez -rez Predator.rez -rez Multi.rez -rez AVP2dll.rez -rez AVP2l.rez -rez custom -rez AVP2p.rez -rez AVP2p2.rez  -rez AVP207.rez -rez rgsnd3.rez -rez FOVfix.rez +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +EnableTripBuf 1 +DisableHardwareCursor 0  

There are some mods included but you can probably just remove the references to files you can't find in your installation.

Reply 3 of 15, by hoover1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
hoover1979 wrote:

Is it a CD install? Did you patch the game? I don't think compatibility settings are needed.

Yet it is from the CD and it had been patched.

Last edited by hoover1979 on 2015-03-16, 07:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 15, by hoover1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:
Technically you don't even need AVP2.exe, that's just a launcher. You can run the game from a batchfile. […]
Show full quote

Technically you don't even need AVP2.exe, that's just a launcher. You can run the game from a batchfile.

This is the one I use:

lithtech.exe -windowtitle "Aliens vs. Predator 2" -rez AVP2.rez -rez sounds.rez -rez Alien.rez -rez Marine.rez -rez Predator.rez -rez Multi.rez -rez AVP2dll.rez -rez AVP2l.rez -rez custom -rez AVP2p.rez -rez AVP2p2.rez  -rez AVP207.rez -rez rgsnd3.rez -rez FOVfix.rez +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +EnableTripBuf 1 +DisableHardwareCursor 0  

There are some mods included but you can probably just remove the references to files you can't find in your installation.

I just tried that batch file and got the dreaded "Client MFC application has stopped working" message. I have never been able to play this game after I upgraded from win XP 🙁

Reply 5 of 15, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I can say is, I can't even start this game with 2.42. It gets stuck right at startup.
However, trying the current WIP version, it seems to run flawlessly as for the graphics (AvP Gold Edition).
I have some problems though, for example the initial sound get stuck and repeats forever during navigating the menus, and sometimes I lose focus when clicking with mouse (I'm on a multimonitor system).

Reply 6 of 15, by hoover1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wish DGVoodoo2 would work with this game. Blood 2 and Shogo work great with DGvoodoo2. If DGvoodoo2 would run AVP2 great, I'd be able to play that and relive the glory years. Hopefully a future version of DGvoodoo2 will run it so I won't give up yet 😀

Reply 7 of 15, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.dmkp.co.uk/index.php?page=news&typ … s&keep_has_js=1

I'm having a tough time understanding what he means, but from the looks of it, you may want to install the game to C:\Program Files rather than C:\Program Files (x86)

EDIT: Also, this http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Aliens_versus_Pr … _2#Issues_fixed

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 8 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hoover1979 wrote:

I just wish DGVoodoo2 would work with this game. Blood 2 and Shogo work great with DGvoodoo2. If DGvoodoo2 would run AVP2 great, I'd be able to play that and relive the glory years. Hopefully a future version of DGvoodoo2 will run it so I won't give up yet 😀

I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but AVP2 works on Vista, 7 and 8. On Win8 you need the ddraw.dll workaround to get framerate back to maximum though. I actually beat the entire game on Win7 x64 years ago.

Try installing it outside of Program Files as SpeedySPCfan suggested. Sometimes Program Files has permissions quirks with old software. I have it installed in D:\Games on my PC.

Another idea is perhaps your input devices have drivers that the game doesn't work with.

Reply 9 of 15, by hoover1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but AVP2 works on Vista, 7 and 8. On Win8 you need the ddraw.dll workaround to get […]
Show full quote
hoover1979 wrote:

I'm not sure what's going on with your setup but AVP2 works on Vista, 7 and 8. On Win8 you need the ddraw.dll workaround to get framerate back to maximum though. I actually beat the entire game on Win7 x64 years ago.

Try installing it outside of Program Files as SpeedySPCfan suggested. Sometimes Program Files has permissions quirks with old software. I have it installed in D:\Games on my PC.

Another idea is perhaps your input devices have drivers that the game doesn't work with.

Is Currently installed in E:\Games\Avp2

Windows Event log:

Faulting application name: lithtech.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x3cbcdc64
Faulting module name: unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000
Exception code 0xc00000005
Fault offset: 0x77dc4400
Faulting process id: 0x2048
Faulting application start time 0x01d05fd6bccab88e
Faulting application path: E:\games\avp2\lithtech.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
report Id: 0013b76f-cbca-11e4-a455-7824af41d1b3

Does AVP2 have issues with Logitech devices? if so I am royally screwed as my keyboard AND mouse are Logitech

Reply 12 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran into the AVP2 client MFC crash on my Surface 4 (Win10 x64). The problem seems to be caused by some HID devices interacting poorly with the old game and its DirectInput. The tablet uses many internal HID devices. I solved it by putting an XP SP3 dinput.dll (5.3.2600.5512) into the game folder.

No need for compatibility mode or admin launch. Seems to work fine on Intel graphics without DGVoodoo2.

BTW this works for NOLF too.

Attachments

• Filename
    dinput.7z
    File size
    64.61 KiB
    Downloads
    303 downloads
    File comment
    This is the dll that worked for me. Virustotal scanned.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 15, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried reinstalling the game and applying the 1.96 patch? Also make sure that you have selected your graphics card when the option screen comes up under display. It also won't hurt reinstalling DirectX 9.

AVP2 works fine on my i5-2500K and GTX 770 under Windows 7 x64. The only problem that is bugging me is that the game doesn't support native AA and if you force it through the Nvidia Control panel, you get awful glitches around the edges that get worse as you progress through the game. (see attachment). I tried using dgVoodoo 2.53 D3D and using 8xAA, but you still get awful ragged edges. I've also noticed the same problem in NOLF 2. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks! 😀

Attachments

• AVP2AAGlitch.jpg
    Filename
    AVP2AAGlitch.jpg
    File size
    257.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 15, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI Davros, I tried both. You still get jaggies with DSR and FXAA works but it makes everything look blurry. I prefer Multisample anti-aliasing as it's looks better. If I can't find a fix, I'll probably just have to stick with FXAA instead.