VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wertoiuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So Zoombinis was an educational game I played in elementary school 15 years ago, and recently got the itch to play it for nostalgia after talking about it with friends. I have DosBox downloaded, and it is running Windows 3.1. I have it set up so that it loads stuff on launch:

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.
mount c c:\doswin
c:
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\WINDOWS;
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Everything there works, and I can launch Windows fine by just typing win. I downloaded an .iso file for the game, unpacked it, and put it into a folder in the Windows 3.1 area. Inside of Windows 3.1, I found the setup.exe file, and ran it. It created a shortcut, and I thought everything was good. Relatively painless up to this point ( roughly 4 hours, hadn't ever done anything like this before so that is pretty good ). However, when I click on the shortcut for the game, it gives me a message saying I need to insert the game CD. After some researching, everything I could find said that I needed to put the game's .iso file into a folder in my C drive, and then enter this code into DosBox before launching Windows:

IMGMOUNT D C:/CD/ZOOMBINIS.iso -t iso

I think I understand what this is supposed to do, effectively make the fake Windows think that this .iso file in the C drive is a CD in the D drive. This works, as in Windows 3.1 there is now a D drive with the files in the CD in it, but the .exe for the game still gives the message that I need to insert the CD.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Reply 1 of 2, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It could be a copy protection issue
It could be a drive letter issue, when you mounted it were you still running the old install?
you need to uninstall the game, mount the iso and run setup.exe or install.exe or autorun or whatever installs the game from the mounted iso
not from the contents of the iso copied to a folder

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness