VOGONS

First post, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently started working on a Compaq Deskpro 590 (AKA 5100). I'm attempting to install a Canopus Pure3D PCI graphics card in Windows 95. The drivers install, everything seems okay... But I can't get the motherboard to disable the onboard video and push things to the card. Every time I plug the monitor's VGA cable into the graphics card, I get no display. Usually there's a jumper on the motherboard to change that, however, this motherboard has no such jumper visible or even in the manual/documentation. Is it possible that it is IMPOSSIBLE to add a graphics card to this machine?

There are ports on the motherboard for a Compaq branded 1MB video memory expansion, did they purposefully disable the ability to add a graphics card so that customers would be forced to buy their proprietary option?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Reply 2 of 12, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
teleguy wrote:

Maybe it's possible to switch it in the BIOS.

There was an option in the BIOS to turn on "PCI Video Snoop" but no luck. I'm trying different options now. Thanks for the lead! Can you tell this is only my 2nd vintage computer build? Ha.

Reply 3 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Canopus Pure3D is a Voodoo card. It needs a pass through cable connecting to the 2D graphics adapter. It is not intended to be used as a standalone graphics card and isn't supposed to drive the monitor when it is plugged directly into it.

More details here: Voodoo 2 Passthrough cable?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 12, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Canopus Pure3D is a Voodoo card. It needs a pass through cable connecting to the 2D graphics adapter. It is not intended to be used as a standalone graphics card and isn't supposed to drive the monitor when it is plugged directly into it.

That makes sense, one problem though, there are no headers on the card itself... Is this accomplished by using the ports on the back of the graphics card (like where the VGA port is)? Are there any resources you can link me to in which to explain something like this?

Even if not, the help you've provided thus far is invaluable and I very much appreciate your time.

Reply 5 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a picture:
http://www.dansdata.com/images/buildpc/320/passthru.JPG
top connector in this photo is the 2D card. Bottom connector is the Voodoo. The monitor plugs into the visible connector on the Voodoo.

Reply 6 of 12, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Here's a picture:
http://www.dansdata.com/images/buildpc/320/passthru.JPG
top connector in this photo is the 2D card. Bottom connector is the Voodoo. The monitor plugs into the visible connector on the Voodoo.

Do I have to have the 2D card or can this be accomplished by using the motherboard's VGA port? I have various other random PCI grapihcs cards from the same era, can I do this with any old other graphics card? (I'm guessing not, but I'm clueless at this point.)

Reply 7 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should work with any 2D graphics, whether it's integrated onboard, or a separate card. 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Compaq was usually pretty good about having quality PSUs in their machines, although they didn't often have a big surplus of available power.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 12 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that's the original matrox card ... Trash it. I've got myself a Deskpro 590XL and the original graphic card was just a piece of shit. Doom ran a "smooth" as on my 486 DX33. Yeah, a pentium 90 running doom as "quickly" as a 486 !

Once it was replaced with another card, it ran pretty normal

Edit : okay I read the posts way too fast, my bad ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative