VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and I'd like to play it scaled.

JJ2 can (was intended) to be played at different resolutions, from 320x240 to 640x480 (and some "strange" resolutions like 400x300). In this game, that doesn't mean that the sprites and tiles are scaled but that you can see more or less of your surroundings (at 320x240 Jazz is big, at 640x480 Jazz is small and you can see more terrain). So I used to play at intermediate resolutions, where sprites were not as small but you can see more.

When I played it at first time, I had a typical CRT monitor that could support many resolutions. Now, my monitor/video card can only get some fixed resolutions so the only playable resolution is 640x480.

So, there are any DirectX wrapper that can scale resolutions? The goal would be choosing 512x384 or 400x300, so the wrapper scale it to 1024x768 (a supported resolution in my monitor). I'm not sure if JJ2 uses DirectDraw or Direct3D.

Thanks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can use dgVoodoo 2 and force any resolution that you want. The game will be scaled to that resolution (for example, your desktop resolution). I'm not sure how well it works for 2D games like Jazz Jackrabbit, however, as I've used it only for 3D games.

Edit: I just tested and dgVoodoo 2 works very well with JJ2. It plays fullscreen (whereas, without it, JJ2 would run only in windowed mode) and scales nicely. BTW, you mention 1024x768, but there's not really any reason to scale to that resolution. Scale to your desktop resolution (i.e. the native mode of your monitor) by choosing "Max" as the resolution to force to in dgVoodoo's control panel.

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-08-21, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Osprey wrote:

You can use dgVoodoo 2 and force any resolution that you want. The game will be scaled to that resolution (for example, your desktop resolution). I'm not sure how well it works for 2D games like Jazz Jackrabbit, however, as I've used it only for 3D games.

dgVoodoo 2 worked almost perfectly. Using WIP35, Jazz Jackrabbit can choose every resolution (except 400x300) and dgVoodoo scales it to fill my screen.

(Can I edit the video modes exposed by dgVoodoo 2? Is it possible?)

Osprey wrote:

Edit: I just tested and dgVoodoo 2 works very well with JJ2. It plays fullscreen (whereas, without it, JJ2 would run only in windowed mode) and scales nicely. BTW, you mention 1024x768, but there's not really any reason to scale to that resolution. Scale to your desktop resolution (i.e. the native mode of your monitor) by choosing "Max" as the resolution to force to in dgVoodoo's control panel.

I mentioned 1024x768 (and 800x600) because:
- They are supported resolutions on my monitor (and most modern monitors).
- They are the double of 512x384 and 400x300 (both resolutions can be selected in JJ2), so using a simple 2x scaler I should get bigger pixels without any blur.

EDIT: Sorry, I've found that using ISF max resolutions the blurness should dissappear.

(BTW... is it possible to choose scalers/shaders on dgVoodoo 2 (i.e.: 2x, 2xSAI, scanlines...)?)

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

(Can I edit the video modes exposed by dgVoodoo 2? Is it possible?)

You can input any resolution (including refresh rate). Just type it in like the other resolutions. Mouse over the drop-down box's down arrow to read the tooltip.

Zup wrote:

I mentioned 1024x768 (and 800x600) because:
- They are supported resolutions on my monitor (and most modern monitors).
- They are the double of 512x384 and 400x300 (both resolutions can be selected in JJ2), so using a simple 2x scaler I should get bigger pixels without any blur.

I mentioned it because the monitor's native resolution is the only one that really matters on modern monitors. You're going to get blur with any other resolution, so you might as well just force the game to your desktop resolution or else you may add blur on top of blur (i.e. the wrapper is blurring the image by scaling it and then the monitor is blurring it because you're not at the native resolution). I would just put the game as high as it goes (640x480x16) and force it to Max (monitor native resolution) in dgVoodooCpl.exe. Edit: Yeah, Max ISF mode might be what you're after, since I believe that that'll matte the image against your desktop resolution... i.e. give you some black bars above and below, but keep the pixels sharp and unstretched.

Zup wrote:

(BTW... is it possible to choose scalers/shaders on dgVoodoo 2 (i.e.: 2x, 2xSAI, scanlines...)?)

The options for that are pretty limited. The "scaling mode" drop-down box on the General tab in dgVoodooCpl.exe has a few.

Reply 5 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Osprey wrote:

You can input any resolution (including refresh rate). Just type it in like the other resolutions. Mouse over the drop-down box's down arrow to read the tooltip.

I guess that you mean the output resolution selector. I'd like that my game could "see" a 400x300 mode (and then scale to other resolution). I've been playing with the virtual card options (I've selected all video cards available) but none of them seems to support that.

Osprey wrote:

I mentioned it because the monitor's native resolution is the only one that really matters on modern monitors. You're going to get blur with any other resolution, so you might as well just force the game to your desktop resolution or else you may add blur on top of blur (i.e. the wrapper is blurring the image by scaling it and then the monitor is blurring it because you're not at the native resolution).

Yes, but usually the monitor scaling is less blurry than the DirectX scaled filtered output.

Osprey wrote:

The options for that are pretty limited. The "scaling mode" drop-down box on the General tab in dgVoodooCpl.exe has a few.

I guess that dgVoodoo 2 is more oriented to 3D wrapping (where filtering can be OK and SAI scalers only make video output worse) than 2D, where using that kind of filters can be nice. I'd like to see a DLL that could apply filters to DirectDraw output...

I'm selling some stuff!