SimCity Classic For Windows 95 (Version 2.0)

Getting old Windows games working.

Re: SimCity Classic For Windows 95 (Version 2.0)

Postby vogamer » 2017-9-13 @ 17:19

Thank you for the post and glad you found it. Cheers!
vogamer

Postby gerwin » 2017-9-20 @ 21:31

Here is a UK only offer. EA Classics release EN/FR/DE. The back of the box shows only the Windows 95 version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391790435739

Would it be possible to make a patcher for all those stuck with the win3.1 version?
gerwin
l33t

Postby Osprey » 2017-9-20 @ 23:19

gerwin wrote:Would it be possible to make a patcher for all those stuck with the win3.1 version?

It would depend on how much changed between versions. If the Win95 version has a different graphics set, the different main menu and maybe other things like improved music, it wouldn't be very justifiable. If, on the other hand, it's basically just the executable and, maybe, a few DLLs that changed, then a patch would be more feasible. It probably wouldn't be technically legal, though, since you'd be patching one retail release to turn it into another. The argument could be made that "EA/Maxis didn't release a patch to upgrade the Win3.1 version to the Win95 version because they wanted you to buy the game all over again, so producing an unofficial patch would reduce sales." On the other hand, it seems like the Win95 version (or any version) isn't being sold anymore, so some sites (but probably not this one) would likely let it slide. That said, I'm guessing that a lot more changed between versions than just a few files. I wouldn't know because I don't have it and never even played it.
Osprey

Postby jaZz_KCS » 2017-9-21 @ 09:56

A patch isn't feasible. As I have described in grand detail on the last page, the differences are too big to make a patch viable.

Different music, different Graphic Sets ("Classic 95"), different HUD, different sounds and a different main menu, not to mention the added Maxis logo-video. Except for the asset files used for the other graphic sets from before, it has been redone basically.

Same is true for the Terrain Editor, it has been redone from scratch for Win32. See last page for further info + screenshots.
jaZz_KCS

Postby gerwin » 2017-9-21 @ 17:37

Yes, I was aware of most of that. Still technically anything can be patched to anything, as long as there is usable fingerprint. A piece of software is in a way just a very long number. The legality; don't know what to say. I just leave it worded by members more interested/knowledgable in that subject.
It was just a wild idea, after concluding that I have no reasonable way to buy such a rare used CD around here. A terribly tedious but still faster way is to continue the micropolis tile redraw, that someone started on reddit Link 1 Link 2. Actually micropolis needs a tile-combiner tool first, to work on it properly.
gerwin
l33t

Postby noshutdown » 2017-9-22 @ 03:33

jaZz_KCS wrote:As promised here are comparison screenshots of both versions.

First up, the widely known "for windows" version, SimCity for Windows, later renamed SimCity Classic for Windows:

Compared to the elusive Windows 95 version, also known as SimCity for Windows 95, or Simcity for Windows 2.0:

hello
i am also interested in how many versions did the old simcity have.
does the first version support sound cards? and does it have the infamous "divide by zero" error on fast computers?
is the second version, the "simcity classic for windows95" a pure 32bit windows executable and would it refuse to run in windows3.1?
what are the title screens of the two versions?
noshutdown
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Windows