VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know the drill to getting the orig Quake running on a modern Win PC with the software renderer? At full res -- 2560x1440 in my case.

I've purchased two packages from Steam and GOG trying together this working but to no avail (aside from the CD I purchased back in 1996).

Any help much appreciated. Hardware is i7-6700K, GTX 1080 Ti, Win 10 64-bit Pro.

bp

:: Visit the Byte Cellar, my vintage computer blog (since 2004).
:: See a panorama of my own Byte Cellar (a.k.a. basement computer room)...
:: twitter: @blakespot

Reply 3 of 14, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I just got WinQuake. It looks pretty good scaled up on this 32" 2560x1440.

Can this be used to play all of the extension packs that are bundled with GOG and Steam's Quake packages? Some?

Thanks.

bp

Reply 5 of 14, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1280x960 is the max I am seeing here, and it looks fine, but screen elements aren’t in the 16:9 aspect ratio of this 2560x1440 screen of course. Are there command line settings to square up the render at default full width (full screen) or to letter box it (full screen)?

Also, is it likely that overbright lighting is supported in WinQuake (vs. just DOS)? Thanks.

bp

Reply 8 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that accelerated GL engines won't ever be perfect due to how Quake rendered the maps, models, etc. for example many of the original quake maps will have z-fighting in some places in GL whereas it's fine in software. You can't just drop filtering and then call it a day.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 14, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But no way to set 16:9 or letterbox in full screen for WinWuake??

bp

Reply 10 of 14, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's also qbism Super8. It doesn't adjust FOV on its own, have to do it manually and the HUD remains stretched.

blakespot wrote:

But no way to set 16:9 or letterbox in full screen for WinWuake??

No, unless you take the original source code, add what you want and recompile it.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 12 of 14, by Weebob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+1 for MarkV http://quakeone.com/markv/

I got a odd hitching effect when using "mark_v_winquake", so have opted for the dx9 port with the following options switched to look and feel more like software rendered quake...

Under "Options" every set as "Quake Default" and "Effects" set to "Normal + Jerky". Under "Video options", "Pixelation" set to "Pixelated"

Its Pretty good, not perfect but has also meant I can get the music working and looping correctly.

Last edited by Weebob on 2018-02-18, 23:02. Edited 1 time in total.

bjxhae-6.png

Reply 13 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a software rendered port of my own but it broke CD music which is why i'm not self-promoting it here. but it does do the hor+ hd 16:9 faithful software thing (among other optional graphics cruft).

I should mention Super8 isn't faithful as it changed the lighting to have a strange intensity/hue calculation instead of full rgb.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by blakespot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I have a software rendered port of my own but it broke CD music which is why i'm not self-promoting it here. but it does do the hor+ hd 16:9 faithful software thing (among other optional graphics cruft).

I should mention Super8 isn't faithful as it changed the lighting to have a strange intensity/hue calculation instead of full rgb.

!! Would you be willingness to share? Quite an achievement.

bp