VOGONS

Common searches

Win7 32 bit

Topic actions

First post, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

16 bit games play fine in 32 bit XP or Vista, but is 32 bit Win 7 just completely incompatible? Having wasted a couple of evenings seeking an answer, only to find a plethora of threads about people trying to run 16 bit games on Win 7 64 bit, I assume either no one has tried 32 bit Win 7 or I'm the only one with issues, 🤣.

I don't even get to try. If I plug in a flashdrive that merely has such a game on it - not trying to copy it or run it or anything - I immediately get a popup about the exe being incompatible. Changing compatibility mode does nothing, UAC is disabled, but nothing helps; the nanosecond this system sees a 16bit exe it throws a fit.

Is there a solution ...other than continuing to nurse along an aging XP system?

Reply 1 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think it still runs 16bit programs AND I think I have a with W7 32bit. Feel free to ping me or ask here again if I forgot to check.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 14, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used Windows 7 on my old Athlon XP, and it did run 16 bit software.
With 64 bit, Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, there was XP mode, supporting 16 bit software. Not sure, if the downloads are still available, though, since the support ended with the extended support for XP. On the other hand, usually Win 3.1 would suffice for such old software, so I would just use DOSBox. If I really must, I would install Windows 98SE in a virtual machine with no internet access and use that.
I don't see a reason to install a 32 bit OS on a modern system anymore. It's also somewhat absurd that many 32 bit software require SSE2 nowadays, making it exclusive for 64 bit CPUs anyway. Windows 10 is one of them.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 3 of 14, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Marek wrote:

It's also somewhat absurd that many 32 bit software require SSE2 nowadays, making it exclusive for 64 bit CPUs anyway. Windows 10 is one of them.

That's not true though.
SSE2 was introduced on the Pentium 4, and Intel's guidelines recommended to use SSE2 for all floating point operations, because it was more efficient than x87 code.
The Pentium 4 didn't receive 64-bit support until a few generations later, so there are indeed 32-bit CPUs with SSE2.
Then there is the Pentium-M, which is also 32-bit with SSE2, and also the later Core Solo/Duo models.
There are also various 32-bit Atoms that have support for SSE2 or more.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 4 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If '16 bit games' mean Win16 NE files then the answer is they are compatible. But only console mode MS-DOS programs that do not use any graphics modes can be run on a normal 32 bit Win7 installation (which means VGA using WDDM drivers). So practically all MS-DOS games are incompatible. You will see something like this:

win7x86_16bit.jpg
Filename
win7x86_16bit.jpg
File size
47.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 6 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

You can install the XP video drivers in Windows 7 for fullscreen mode.

Of course. That's why I have written a 'normal' 32 bit Win7 using WDDM drivers. I do think using XP drivers under Win7 is too much sacrifice since this way you not only break Aero/Desktop HW support but any GDI HW acceleration.
Instead of using XP drivers permanently I think a better compromise is to disable the video card temporarily in device manager (so using the built-in VGA driver) when you want to use DOS programs in fullscreen.
http://www.waldbauer.com/vb/showpost.php?p=7878&postcount=4

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 7 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falcosoft wrote:

Instead of using XP drivers permanently I think a better compromise is to disable the video card temporarily in device manager (so using the built-in VGA driver) when you want to use DOS programs in fullscreen.

Would XP Mode (XP inside Microsoft Virtual PC) allow full-screen?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 14, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why bother with DOS software in Windows when you can use DOSbox? It emulates all common graphics cards, sound cards and ports old software expects.
I think, this topic was about native 16 bit Windows software. And those should work with any 32 bit Windows.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 9 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm speaking under correction, but I think that the Desktop Window Manager w/ Aero Glass of Windows Vista/7 x86 even had a postive effect to Win16 apps.
Last time I checked, they visually ran all fine and I encountered no issues with apps using 256 colour palettes. Again, I'm speaking under correction..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marek wrote:

Why bother with DOS software in Windows when you can use DOSbox? It emulates all common graphics cards,
sound cards and ports old software expects. I think, this topic was about native 16 bit Windows software.
And those should work with any 32 bit Windows.

Yes, they should. What I like about DOSBox is that it is able to run Windows 3.x in about all three modes and with a specific amount of cycles.
Depending on how powerful someones PC is and how powerhungry the games are, the experience might be even more
authentic to what newer flavors of Windows offer. Also, some older games did funny stuff with the GDI, windows/system timers, pc speaker, etc. 😀

Would XP Mode (XP inside Microsoft Virtual PC) allow full-screen?

Yes, I believe so. XP Mode requires Windows Virtual PC, though (sorry for sounding like a nitpicker).
It is a special flavor that's featurewise a mishmash of MS VPC 2007 and Virtual PC 7 for Mac:

At one side it supports hardware virtualization (VPC200x), on the other side it supports printers/USB (VPC 7).
I remember that AMD-V/Intel-VT were initally a requirement even. Until MS was confronted with reality:

Their customers had lots of PC that either weren't compatible or had no BIOS support for it.
After that, they backtracked and released a patch for VPC (KB977206). 😁

liqmat wrote:

Yes. Still available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/deta … ls.aspx?id=8002

Don't use the N version. Does not include media player due to European anti-trust crap.

Thanks a lot for letting us know, that's good news! 😀

Edit: Typos fixed. Again.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 14, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote:
jgf wrote:

16 bit games play fine in 32 bit XP or Vista, but is 32 bit Win 7 just completely incompatible?

Whatever works in Vista should work in Win7.

Any particular problem?

That's what I thought, but any older games I try on my Win7 system merely give me that popup about incompatibility (they all worked fine in Vista 32). In fact if I just plug in a flashdrive containing such a program (not trying to install or run it) that message pops up immediately.

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try sfc /scannow or try to track down if any securom crap is on your system. I've seen that prevent 16bit files from being deleted and slowing down explorer tasks but not preventing 16bit executables from launching.

Probably simpler to just wipe and reinstall.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline