VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 31, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Though he is right about the framerate, it's unplayable in Windows 10 here on a GTX 1070. Framerate is fine on the non-patched version, if you don't mind big spikes of glitch sticking out of your car 😀

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 22 of 31, by Destroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hamer40000 wrote:

hey everyone.i have fixed the bug without editing the "crc.exe" file that makes the game slow and it will decrease frame rate.just go to game folder and delete "humans" folder.

Doesn't this remove all the drivers within the cars? If so, would look a bit strange with cars moving about all empty.

Reply 25 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm you're right; on Win10 64bit the framerate now tanks in-game, compared to how it was on Win8.1 64bit. I tried a few things but it makes little difference. Deleting contents of Humans didn't help.

More time needed on this one, one day...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 26 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked Zeus for help but not heard anything yet. I tried a few other values but no luck.

Deleting Humans with the un-Zeus-patched version DOES work, that gets rid of the spikes, but not the weird floating branches above the car (which Zeus' patch fixes too)...

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 27 of 31, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

This issue came to my attention a few days ago, since I noticed that current fixes are unusable on Windows 10 - so I looked into it now and turns out the issue is caused by broken vertex shaders (I really don't know why current fix helps - it changes D3D vertex processing from mixed to software, so I assume there are some tiny behaviour changes which accidentally remedy this issue) - fixing them allows to play with no artifacts and no performance drop!

hd4SIoHl.jpg

For this I had to unpack and analyze shader.dat - I don't have a tool to decompress it (since it's a LZW-like archive), I asked the game to do it for me - but I have a tool to unpack that compressed file (ISHD archive) into a series of shaders in plaintext. Will upload it really soon!

So as not to appear as a guy who only talks and doesn't share - here's a fixed shader.dat file! Replace the stock one located in system directory and enjoy! No EXE hex editing needed:
http://silent.rockstarvision.com/uploads/crc2 … crc-shaders.zip

Last edited by CookiePLMonster on 2018-07-18, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 31, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CookiePLMonster wrote:

Hey,

This issue came to my attention a few days ago, since I noticed that current fixes are unusable on Windows 10 - so I looked into it now and turns out the issue is caused by broken vertex shaders (I really don't know why current fix helps - it changes D3D vertex processing from mixed to software, so I assume there are some tiny behaviour changes which accidentally remedy this issue) - fixing them allows to play with no artifacts and no performance drop!

Hi,

could you maybe take a look at the Framebuffer effects in Knights of the Old Republic not working on AMD? A fix was possible by putting an older driver file into the game directory but that no longer works on Windows 10.

Reply 29 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks CookiePLMonster, ideal!

Reply 30 of 31, by CookiePLMonster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not strictly on topic as per fixing the game, but figured I'd still post it here:

My shader fix got sent directly to Invictus Games and they noticed it - looks like they liked it more than initially expected!

As you may know, the game became freeware after this issue started occuring, and eventually even that version got taken down - but now that this issue is fixed, Invictus is interested in re-releasing the game on Steam with additional fixes! I'm working on those together with RAXAT/ImageCode (the guy behind SLRR v2.3.1), and we got a lot of stuff done during this time!

Most notably, we fixed plenty of issues related to widescreen resolutions (notice HUD is not stretching anymore), but also added Antialiasing, improved resolutions of car reflections, shadows, water reflections...

vboGXXMl.jpg

equkedxl.jpg

zYBtbRrl.jpg

I'm super excited for this and happy this fix might have prolonged game's life a lot!

Reply 31 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow that's amazing, congratulations!