VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clintonjmolina1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a laptop with 1366*768 display. it seems quite good until i played some games like half-life or Age of Empire. The Screen solution will be down square? how can I fix this? or what are the problems? thank you

Reply 1 of 2, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have several laptops with such display. This resolution very common for 11.6" laptops for mass market. I presumed that you would be using some sort of Windows OS. Usually the display driver would have provided the options for display scaling for resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio, such as 640x480 and 1024x768. Common options are stretch, maintain aspect ratio or 1:1. Stretch is usually the default as it fills the entire screen area but with distortion. Maintain aspect ratio scales the image to fit in the display while keeping the aspect ratio, it may leave black bars on the sides. 1:1 just show the actual image on the center.

Reply 2 of 2, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding Half-Life, assuming we're talking about old non-Steam version, there's a patch that fixes the game to allow selecting any resolution supported by the hardware.

Latest Steam version is fine in that regard. Though before SteamPipe update back in 2013, if I remember correctly, the game just wouldn't show certain resolutions, including the one in question. Cry of Fear, which uses the version of Half-Life engine of the time, still exhibits that problem.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.