VOGONS

Common searches

Motorhead on Windows 10 x64 Guide

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by FramerateUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had many problems getting Motorhead by Digital Illusions to run on various systems over the years. I recently got it up and running on a Windows 10 x64 machine with an i5 and nVidia 1060 GTX.

1. Install Daemon Tools
If you don’t have a CD drive. This is important as it's the only drive emulator I've found that gets the CD Audio working correctly. The music is half the appeal in this game for me so it's a big deal.

2. Install nGlide
I've been able to get the game working using the OpenGL driver, but using nGlide seems to eliminate quite a few compatibility issues.

3. Download a replacement InstallShield exe
The original version is 16 bit and just won't work on x64 systems. You can download the InstallShield 4 exe at this page:
https://reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

If the link goes, just PM me and I'll host elsewhere.

4. Copy the whole install cd to a folder on your hard drive.
Replace the Setup.exe file with the updated version and then run it in Windows 95 compatibility mode.

5. Download the 3.0 patch.
Run it in Windows 95 compatibility mode to get it to extract the install files, if this doesn’t work, you should be able to extract it using 7zip.

Again, replace the new setup file with the updated version. Set Windows 95 mode and then install as normal.

6. Launch Motorhead and turn on Glide rendering.
I use 800x600 in this game as the in game menus are pretty big at 640x480. nGlide will then render it at any resolution you please. (I use 1920x1200 with an aspect ratio lock, this game does not support widescreen).

One downside is that Motorhead doesn’t have any dead zone settings for joysticks. I had lots of problems with my 360 controller as the drivers don't have any built in dead zone settings. I swapped to using a Playstation 4 DS4 pad instead though, and along with the DS4 Windows driver. You can download it here (http://ds4windows.com/) or a more recent fork here (https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows), you can set the deadzone as well as reconfigure the pad to your own needs.

There are a couple of delays on my machine switching between the menu and the main game, but it always manages to get through without crashing.

Reply 2 of 2, by FramerateUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

your problem with the 360 pad could be that its xinput not direct input like the game is expecting (trigger axis are different)

The pad itself works great. It's just the deadzone has well documented issues where it doesn't always centre correctly (so you get slight drifts when the pad is in it's centre position.).

Lots of games have deadzone adjustments (the 360 pad needs about 12%-18% centre deadzone), but many don't.

The reason the PS4 pad works is that the DS4 driver has its own built in deadzone control, so you can set it properly for games that don't have their own adjustment. It also has excellent remapping tools and profiles that can load automatically based on the exe you run. Great if you're running old games that don't support all the buttons.

You could just use a normal digital d-pad, but Motorhead plays much better with an analogue stick, it really helps to hold control during corners where you'd otherwise end up drifting out.