VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by choobs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the vague thread title, but I've got a few questions that are kind random. Also, this seemed the most appropriate forum, since it's an old Windows game and the problem is neither VDMsound nor DOSBox specific. If there's a better place for this, by all means Mods, please move it.

Here's the relevant info for my system:

XP SP2
Althon XP-M clocked at 2.2 GHz
ASUS A7N8X motherboard
512MB DDR400 RAM
Built in NFORCE sound

On Kyrandia 3: Malcolm's Revenge, the intall and setup programs work both in DOS and Windows. If you run them in Windows, or if you try to run them from a command line, it will pop up and window and go through the settings. If you run it in a DOS-only environment (DOSBOX) then it starts up a DOS based program to do the settings. I prefer using VDMsound to DOSBOX, so I'd like to know if there's any way to prevent the program from decting Windows, or some way to force it to run in DOS mode? I remember there used to be an option in 95 and 98 to do that, but I don't remember if it really worked or not.

That brings me to my next question... It appears that this game won't work unless the CD Drive is drive D. Now my CD Drive is E: and I have a secondary hard drive that is D. Is there any way I can "trick" a program or command prompt into thinking that the D: is really the E: drive without having to manually rearrange all my drive letters?

Now, I know that I can get this up and running on DOSBox, so if there's no way to do the things I'm asking about, I'll survive. I just prefer VDMsound to DOSBox and I think that these questions could apply to other old games and come in handy in other places as well.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to run the ms-dos version (forced) you will have to look for the appropiate executables to run. Look for an install.bat, install.exe, setup.exe or something that doesn't have any icon. It will probably be an ms-dos executable.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 4, by choobs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The file *is* setup.exe. It apparently is some sort of dual-mode executable. I'm trying to find out if there's a way to force it to use MS-DOS mode instead of windows mode, of if there's a way to open a command prompt in Windows that won't allow programs to detect Windows.