VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RYZINN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently got a voodoo 1 up and running on my pentium 133.

So the scenario plays out like this. I fire up Descent 2, a 3dfx compatible game, the voodoo card *CLICKS*, my monitor turns off and on w/ the 3dfx logo popping up and Descent 2 running nicely. Play the game for a bit, exit out, decide to run DOOM because it's DOOM and I have to play it. This is where things get weird. For whatever reason, after playing a 3DFX compatible game like Descent 2, then trying to fire up DOOM 1, the card *CLICKS* again and decides DOOM needs to utilize the voodoo card (I guess?) and instead of my ATI Mach64 running the game, I get a black screen with sound.

Not a huge issue, I can restart the system and run DOOM first thing and get the proper result but if I try to run a 3DFX game prior to DOOM, the black screen is my result. I probably should test DOOM 2 and some other DOS games to see if its some kind of weird DOS issue or something but I don't really have much clue why this issue occurs.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Reply 1 of 1, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It clicks because of the mechanical relay. You likely have a Righteous3D voodoo. As to to why it happens with Doom...that's weird as hell. Maybe something is left over in the protected mode environment that DOOM triggers again. What happens if you play a real-mode game after Descent?