VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a used copy of the game Red Faction and installed it under Windows 98SE. The game starts fine, however within a minute or so of getting to the main menu, the game stops responding to the mouse buttons and the keyboard. It doesn't crash, it just stops responding, but only to the buttons/keys.

For example, if I start a game, it will behave normally for a minute or so, then all of a sudden, it's like the keyboard goes completely dead and the mouse buttons stop working. I can still pan the view with the mouse, but nothing else. I can't move, can't shoot, can't exit the game, nothing.

When this happens, not even the Caps Lock LED on my keyboard will come on. I've also noticed that if I was moving when this happens (meaning I was pressing one of the keys), I continue to move in the same direction. It's like the game decides to ignore the keyboard and just keeping doing whatever it was last doing. My keyboard has no special features at all, it's just a cheap PS/2 one.

I've tried it with and without the 1.20 patch. I've also installed it on a friend's system (XP) where it worked fine (with or without the patch). However at one point I found a user in a forum who was having the same problem and they were using XP, so it doesn't seem like the OS is to blame. Besides, it's supposed to be compatible with 98.

I've tried replacing my mouse driver with a standard MS one, but that didn't help either.

I've even tried it with difference versions of the NVidia drivers.

I've written to the company, but they only gave me the standard advice like "update your drivers", etc. The developers themselves also had no idea why this happens.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When this happens in 2K/XP/2003 it's usually because the processor is already being fully utilized. Try disabling all background programs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Rekrul - How about ALT-TAB? Does that work?

Can you start Task Manager *before* launching the game, and keep Task Manager on top of the game's screen? Showing CPU-utilitization.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣. He'll probably have to download a processor monitoring program from sysinternals

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

When this happens in 2K/XP/2003 it's usually because the processor is already being fully utilized. Try disabling all background programs.

Yup, I've done that. I tried launching it immediately after a reboot with nothing else running. Same thing.

MiniMax wrote:

Rekrul - How about ALT-TAB? Does that work?

Not after it goes off into limbo. Nothing on the keyboard or the mouse buttons will register.

MiniMax wrote:

Can you start Task Manager *before* launching the game, and keep Task Manager on top of the game's screen? Showing CPU-utilitization.

I don't think I can do that with Windows' own Task Manager under Windows 98. The one from SysInternals has an Always On Top option, but I have a feeling that the game will still obscure the window. I'll try it as soon as I re-install the game. (I got frustrated with it, so I uninstalled it)