VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

while later gf cards lack hardware support for palleted textures they do have software support for them same as ati cards
i do beleive they will run
if someone can post a list of a few games to test i wil test them

Er, actually I can't exactly tell whether a particular game uses 8-bit textures or not. However, many people already mentioned Final Fantasy VII. Also, leileilol said that anything made before the year 2000 uses 8-bit palleted textures --probably you may want to try Incoming or Hellbender? I also wonder about games like Crimson Skies --which is made during the year 2000.

Davros wrote:

ps: you know the prob with avp on gf cards its been fixed it was down to a z buffer problem not palleted textures

I see. Probably it is the same problem with that of Delta Force 2? See, while the terrain uses Voxel, the objects use polygons. Nonetheless, when I set z-buffer depth to 32-bit in my ATI Control Panel, the depth of the objects is not drawn correctly --I can see a SCUD truck through the hill, for example. Setting the z-buffer to 16-bit corrects the problem, though.

I didn't play AvP, but does it have the same problem?

Davros wrote:

pps: just tried q3 with 16bit textures and while the sky has banding all the other textures are fine

Just wonder: have you tried disabling texture compression? IIRC nVidia cards tend to have ugly texture compression --most notably example is the "sky banding" in Q3A.

Davros wrote:

guess what frame rate im getting ?
1000fps - woot

Hehehe... That's why I love to play old 3D games on new video cards. However, compatibility problem is such a headache. That's why I always wonder what's the newest video card that still retains most backward compatibilities with older games (especially those during Win9x era). Probably GeForce FX?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.