VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Obverse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get this to run on my 6 year-old's computer, because she loves playing it at the library.

What I have tried so far:

Windows 7 - native
The game installs fine, but when you try to play it it complains it can't find quicktime.

Quicktime could not be initialized, the product will run but videos will not play. The probable cause is a bad quicktime installation. Please re-run Setup and re-install Quicktime.

I did install Quicktime 2.1.2 that came with it, and even though that seemed to work I doubt that is compatible with Windows 7 such that the DK app will "find" it. I tried a few other versions of quicktime, but no joy yet.

Windows 95 - dosbox-x
Install runs fine, but the game won't start because the CD is not in the drive. I tried the official patch from DK to run without the cd, but that doesn't seem to work in Win95.

Are there any cd emulation programs that actually work with Win95? I tried Alcohol 120%, Daemon tools and WinCDEmu, but didn't get one to work.

Windows XP - virtualbox
The install and game work (with WinCDEmu), but the video is kind of choppy. I also wasn't able to run virtual windows xp on her computer (my old box from 2011). I might wipe her drive and just install XP so it can run natively, but am looking for any advice towards a simpler way to run this.

Thanks for all you folks do archiving gaming history.

Attachments

• quicktime.png
    Filename
    quicktime.png
    File size
    5.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 1, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't tested the game but in any of my test cases, QuickTime was detected in some form or another when installed. I would install QT and then run the app with admin privileges at maximum so that it accesses the correct registries required to check and use QT

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058