VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Cheesypoofs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I've got most of my old windows versions of my Sierra games working, ie: Freddy Pharkus, SQ6, KQ5, etc, however, there's one thing that's preventing me from enjoying the games at their fullest.

When I run in 640x480x256 colors I still get the annoying blue windows bar at the top, and the taskbar at the bottom. Is there any way to make these games run completely in fullscreen mode like their dos counterparts do?

Thanks for any help
Cheesypoofs

Reply 1 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just run the DOS versions. KQ6 is just about the only one that the Windows version is superior to the DOS one. You will avoid a number of bugs that plague only the Windows versions, from the save bug in GK1 to all the waveOut errors in QfG4.

If you just HAVE to run the Windows versions, a FEW of the games can be set to run without the titlebar by adding titleBar=FALSE to the config file.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 4, by Cheesypoofs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you just HAVE to run the Windows versions, a FEW of the games can be set to run without the titlebar by adding titleBar=FALSE to the config file.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.

And the main reason I'm asking is for KQ5 which I can't for the life of me get to work with sound and speech in dos mode, I've tried the updated audblast.drv and gosierra patches and vdmsound and dosbox and i'm out of ideas. I always saw other people talking about selecting soundblaster for both sound and music, but in my version which came with a 10 CD value pack, I can only choose between roland adlib, and a couple others that aren't worth mentioning for music, and basically CMS Soundblaster for speech. The best I can get is the sound effects to work, but no speech or music.

But at least I can run it in windows mode, so it's no big deal.

Thanks again
Cheesypoofs

Reply 4 of 4, by chrisis123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have a reasonably fast computer and an old copy of windows 3.1 (or 3.11) lying around somewhere, you could also try it on a cvs-version of dosbox (look in the Forum "dosbox guides" on infos, how to run windows 3.x and install sound and graphics drivers). At least my Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth Talkie CD runs on my computer (notebook with celeron 1,5 ghz) with full glory, without that annoying titlebar 😀.

bye
chr