VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Golan2972

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a full installation of Neverwinter Nights with both expansion packs; when I played it back in June, it ran well most of the time, but when I ran it again today, the game showed the black cd-check screen, and then it disappeared and I got to the desktop, as if nothing was running; I checked WinXP's Task Manager, and I saw NWNMAIN.EXE there, "running", but inert. I had a similar problem back in June, which I've solved by updating my graphics accelerator drivers; this time it didn't help.

Computer specs:
Neverwinter Nights with both expansion packs
Windows XP, fully updated, Service Pack 2 and so on
DirectX 9.0c
Intel Pentium-4 2.8MHz
256MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX 5200 (128MB RAM) Graphics Card with the latest drivers
Aureal Audio sound card with updated drivers

Solutions already attempted and failed:
- Running on a fresh Windows startup
- Running the game directly by NWNMAIN.EXE rather than through the loader
- Updating the game and graphic accelerator drivers
- I've heared something about an "NVidia infinite loop" bug, which was supposed to be responsible for this problem, and have downloaded and installed a program which was supposed to solve this, but to no avail.

Reply 2 of 6, by Golan2972

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
Have you tried: - uninstalling and reinstalling the game? - making sure your swapfile isn't full? - using a no-cd crack? […]
Show full quote

Have you tried:
- uninstalling and reinstalling the game?
- making sure your swapfile isn't full?
- using a no-cd crack?

- Uninstall and re-install - did it when I had the problem before, didn't help, but updating video drivers did, unlike this time
- I've tried a no-cd crack, it doesn't help

How do I check my swap file?

Reply 3 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you apply latest patches?

Also, try changing some advanced options under configuration. Start by disabling 3D sound (use Miles 2D driver). I was getting a lot of hangups myself and it turned to be some apparent "inocuos" option I had enabled. Unfortunately I don't remember which one was it.

Last edited by eL_PuSHeR on 2005-10-01, 17:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 6, by Golan2972

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, it's definitely sound-related. I've disabled sound and it works perfectly (without sound, ofcourse 🙁). How do I change to Miles 2D? In the configuration program, I see only "normal", "safe mode" or "no sound" under the sound settings...