VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody know of a glide wrapper that works with NHL '98? I've tried a few, but none of them worked properly when I turned on the 3D acceleration, it just goes stops and goes back to the desktop... I have 368 megabytes of RAM, a Pentium III 900 mhz, an nVidia Aladdin TNT 2 (16 megabytes), and I'm running Windows ME, by the way...

Reply 1 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come on. You're tellin' me you can't find a Voodoo 3 for that machine? The processor and video card are way too slow for Glide emulation, IMO. You'd be better off getting the real thing.......(Resisting mentioning the obligatory Windows ME Rant....it's a struggle...trying....trying....)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 13, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know ME sucks, but my dad likes it for some reason... My friend gave me the CD for Windows 98 SE last week, but my dad doesn't want to install it. (...? Whatever) But I do have a new PC with a Pentium 4 and an Intel 128 mb video card, but I haven't installed NHL '98 on it yet... (Intel video cards suck, I know, but i'm 16 and can't afford a PC of my own) If I had it my way I'd go out and buy a Voodoo 3, 4 or 5 right now off the net, but I don't have a credit card. So is there a Glide wrapper I could download that would work with NHL '98?

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know about '98 but '99 from my testing seems pretty crash prone....of course that's normal behavior for old EA games.

NHL '99 supports D3D. Does '98 support D3D?

Reply 4 of 13, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya I have '99 too, but unfortunately '98 is only for 3Dfx. Every time I turn on 3D acceleration it just stops while the game is loading and goes back to Windows. (Sigh) In that case, do you know a site where I could get a Voodoo card? Which version should I get? I checked on Amazon, and the only one they have is Voodoo 5, and I'm not sure if it'll work with NHL '98, 'cause the disc comes with the Glide 2.3 drivers, and I think it wants you to use those, or at least one of the Glide 2.x drivers...

Reply 5 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wait awhile before purchasing anything. I'm sure someone else has the game, although getting a V3 is your best choice.

What glide wrappers have you tried?

DgVoodoo
Zeckensack
OpenGlide

Reply 8 of 13, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, none of them work... 😠 I think I might just buy a Voodoo3 3000. But I'm not sure if it would be better or worse than my current graphics card, an nVidia TNT 2. I'm pretty sure it would be better, but I'm not sure... What do you guys think?

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the V3 supports Glide. That's the main thing. So in that sense it is "better". The TNT 2 is pretty much from the same erra as the V3 so there probably isn't that much difference but I suppose it depends on what kind of TNT it is. Also the TNT will have updated drivers compared to the V3....but that doesn't really mean much since the newer Nvidia drivers really don't work out well for older Nvidia cards.

Basically a V3 and a TNT 2 will be about the same.

Reply 10 of 13, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But I'll be able to use 3D acceleration for all my old games... 😁 OK I think I'll just do that. Or do you think I should just go all the way and upgrade to a Voodoo5 5500? The only problem is I think it uses Glide 3 drivers instead of Glide 2.x, doesn't it?

Reply 11 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The later Voodoo cards had compatibility issues left and right - Voodoo 3 3000 would be your best bet I'd say - you can get them real cheap on eBay (I'm talking $30 or less). I'm thinking of getting one for my spare P166 which I keep for old games.

Reply 13 of 13, by Leafs_rock98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not exactly sure, but I know that the Voodoo3 is better... I found a voodoo3 on some site for $35 so I think I'll get that.