VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Urinal Cake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to acctually play Myst original and Riven Original without using dos. I have XP and A good computer but I dont have dos because windows got rid of it. If there is nothing to do short of buying thje anniversary collection thats in dvd format than I m sunk I guess.

Anyway guys I hope I asked my question appropriately
I have a Gforce 6600 GT

Dos is the thorn in my side.....and Dosbox doesnt have myst on the list.....

-Urinal Cake 😵
The toolkit doesnt work for myst. im not sure why. And also the other game It doesnt work for is Lighthouse

Thank you for your time guys
If you got any Idea of what might help please tell me.

Let The Monkeys Fly!!!

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know, there is no DOS version of Myst. MobyGames agrees: http://www.mobygames.com/game/myst

I have the Windows 3.1 version, which ran in Win98, but I haven't tried it in XP. Of course it won't run on DOSBox because it's a Windows game and not a DOS game.

Also, WinXP comes with a DOS emulator called "NTVDM". It's fast but is not as good as DOSBox at running some games.

Reply 2 of 4, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried the original Myst, but the "masterpiece edition" works fine on XP. Riven also works flawlessly (I installed it just last week, because it's the only Myst game I haven't completed yet).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 4, by CKeene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original release of Myst was for Mac OS and Windows 3.1, there was no DOS version made of any of the Myst games. The original Windows version requires a very old version of QuickTime, and it doesn't seem to get along well with XP. However the Masterpiece Edition works fine as previously mentioned.

Reply 4 of 4, by Generic User

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might be able to get Riven working by changing one line in mohawk.w32 (in the folder where you installed Riven). Find "fEnableAudioProxy=true" and change it to "fEnableAudioProxy=false". If necessary, install the version of Quicktime that came with Riven.