VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever since I got my new PC in January 2004 I have had several Windows and DOS games that refuse to work. Initially I planned to have a minimal install of Win98SE on a second hard drive and try to boot to it, however my attempts at a start-up hard disk selection thing proved futile, and I didn't want to install partition software or reformat and install 98SE followed by XP which apparently allows you to choose an OS when you start(?). So I gave up.

The other day my second drive was failing to boot up (as usual 🤣, I only use it to hold things that are backed up already!), however due to this error it managed to flip the boot up order in my BIOS. I discovered that it then tried to boot off the slave drive instead of the master hard disk.

So today I tested using an old hard disk with Windows98 on, and rather brilliantly it booted up when that hard disk was chosen as having boot priority! This is very cool as it means I only have to use the BIOS to swap to 98 rather than unplugging and replugging hard disks (as a mate of mine does!).

It's not quite all so clear as the old hard disk fails to boot Win98 with some memory error (though it is Win98 not SE and hasn't been set up for this computer) but it's a minor issue I'm sure now.

So I think it'll be reformat the second drive as FAT32, stick minimal 98SE on it, then I can play 98 games on there and also store my other stuff as before! Finally I will be able to play stuff like Pro Rally 2001, Jetboat Superchamps, Top Gun Fire At Will, NASCAR Racing 2 and more... as long as I can get Win98SE running okay on my 3.2GHz Extreme Edition, 1GB RAM, etc machine hehe!

Of course, for some people this is probably known information. Or rather a clunky way to go about things?

Ice

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

a proper bootloader will save you from entering the bios.
bootloaders are quite common when dealing with multiple OS-es and they aren't very hard to setup.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aww don't tempt me with information but provide no links!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's tons of boot loaders out there. It's been quite some time since I played around with 'em tho since the boot loaders that come with NT/Linux work fine for my dual-booting purposes. (Linux/NT or NT/9x or Linux/NT/9x)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some newer MBs let you choose which drive that you wish to boot from by hitting the escape key after the PC POSTS, but before an OS starts to boot.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, GRUB is perhaps the most useful component of my Linux installation. Of course, it still sucks that you have to manually edit an obscure text file if you want to make significant changes, but Linux is like that generally. 😉

Before I installed GRUB I actually started toying around with GDISK to activate whichever primary partition I wanted to boot off of. Crazy times!

Reply 7 of 10, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone with a wife that calls a computer the "silver box thingee" and likes things that "just do stuff" can't survive with a boot loader and besides, enabling and disabling the HDD keeps your stuff safe.
😀

Reply 8 of 10, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well a few problems:

Win98(SE) doesn't support newer hardware. For example the Audigy 2 won't install on Win98FE, it doesn't have any DOS drivers full stop so no way to get DOS sound (which is the biggest advantage of Win95/Win98), motherboards aren't supported, etc.

I use VirtualPC for any old Windows games, and DOSBOX for DOS games.

Reply 10 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for Windows games that use DirectDraw yeah.....for DOS games it works well too but you'll get crappy sound. Better than nothing tho which is what we had before DosBox came along.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline