VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all I do have Kq7 2 that came with the 3 disk king's quest collection (so it is not an issue of sierraw.exe or sierraws.exe). And yes I do have dosbox and yes I do have VDMsound. I always do the full intstall and my OS is Windows XP home edition.
On the windows version I ran it with windows 95 or 98 compatibility and 256 color mode. When I run it it says it cannot find sierra.err and scidll.dll. If I copy the files from the cd to the game directory it says it cannot find 999.pal resource. Making a batch file for the windows version and running it with VDMsound and did nothing different. In dos mode I start the kq7.bat file with the same compatibility options and with VDMsound. It makes the dos window to full screen so I see the text that states that VDMsound is launching. The text does not go away and I can hear the music and sound of the Sierra logo and then I can hear the music and sound of the kq7 menu. The dos background and text change color in relation to the sierra logo and the menu (brownish letters for the logo, white background for the menu).
In dosbox I cannot start the kq7.bat file (it calls it an illegal command) but only the sierra.exe file. But when I start the sierra.exe file (the dos sierra.exe not sierraw.exe from the windows version) it says that it cannot find the 999.pal resource.
Any ideas? This is the version that everyone says works on XP fine whether it be the dos version or the windows version but I can't get either to work!

kq9save#.png

Reply 2 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are lucky to have version 2 of the game, as it comes with the DOS version. If you play it in DOSBox, you can avoid the firecracker speed bug. The error that you are getting with DOSBox sounds like you aren't mounting your CD drive or that you are mounting it with a different drive letter than the one that you installed the game with. Check your RESOURCE.CFG file to make sure that the paths to the game's resources are what DOSBox sees.

Reply 3 of 15, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a dos installation at a full 100 megs on the hard drive, I checked the resource.cfg file and this is what was written:

videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = \sierra\kqc\kq7d
cmd = KQ7
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness= 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resMap=D:\KQ7;C:\sierra\kqc\kq7d
resAUD=D:\KQ7
resSFX=D:\KQ7
patchDir=C:\sierra\kqc\kq7d;D:\KQ7;D:\KQ7\AVI
robot=D:\KQ7\AVI

My cd drive is D and when I mounted it as a cdrom on dosbox, it made no difference. The message still said it couldn't find 999.pal resource.

kq9save#.png

Reply 4 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

change the last part of that to:

resMap=.\
resAUD=.\
resSFX=.\
patchDir=.\;.\AVI
robot=.\

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 15, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still get the 999.pal resource error on the sierra.exe with dosbox, and with the file on compatibility mode with VDMsound. Not only this but now I get 999.pal resource error with kq7.bat file while on compatibility mode with VDMsound. I did not use to get that error on the .bat file (look at first post).

kq9save#.png

Reply 8 of 15, by Flubly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still nothing. I tried just moving everything in the kq7 folder on the cd into the hard drive directory and only replacing files that were bigger than the old ones. So resource.000 got replaced by the full and all the other resources got copied along with some install files. I tried accessing the file all the ways I have in the past after editing the resource.cfg file and it didn't work. I then tried uninstalling the kq7d folder and then moving just the kq7 files from the disk, editing the cfg file, and still no difference when I accessed the files.

kq9save#.png

Reply 9 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, let's start from scratch. Copy the entire KQ7 foder on CD1 to your Sierra floder on your hard drive. You can delete these files:

AUTOKQ7.ICO, AUTOPLAY.EXE, AUTORUN.INF, BDISK.EXE, BOOTDISK.EXE, BOOTDISK.ICO, CONTACT.TXT, COPYMEGS.EXE, COPYMEGS.PIF, CPUID.EXE, D2HTOOLS.DLL, FUN.BAT, HDDTEC.EXE, KQ7W.ICO, KQCHECK.BAT, RESOURCE.WIN, SCIDLL.DLL, SETUP.EXE, SETUP.SOL, SIERRAW.EXE, VESATEST.EXE, WHAT.EXE

Open the RESOURCE.CFG file and add:

resMap=.\
resAUD=.\
resSFX=.\
patchDir=.\;.\AVI
robot=.\

to the end of the file. You may also want to change the soundDrv to GENMIDI.DRV. Now copy this into Notepad:

sierra -o .\resource.cfg
:end

and save it as KQ7.BAT in the KQ7 folder. Start the game in DOSBox with this bat file you just made.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 15, by MrTumnus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm having a similar problem (although I'm not sure if the ones who solved the previous problem are still around).

Tried all of that mentioned and all I get now is a blank dos screen that freezes and does nothing (I was using Dosbox to do it and reinstalled, copied files and changed cfg file as per instructions above).

When I tried the windows version I got the following message:

Panic (actual title of msgbox that popped up)

We're sorry, you have encountered an internal game error. Please restart your game and restore a saved game. If you have continued problems, please report the following information to Sierra Technical Support:

Error 62: Can't find id corresponding to offset 6f73 in script 15 d:\sci\script.cpp(232)
Script 64995/$877

I'm currently running it on windows XP home and have changed the compatibility option to run in 256 colours in win95 mode.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Reply 12 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have a pre 2 version of the game. Delete the SIERRAWS.EXE file from your installed folder and copy SIERRAW.EXE from the CD and rename it to SIERRAWS.EXE

Reply 13 of 15, by blue_robyn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are a genius! Any ideas on how to make KQ6 work similiar to this way? Everytime I try to load it in DosBox, it keeps saying something about "cannot install video device." Please help!

Thanks much!
~L

Reply 15 of 15, by Roncagliolo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, I also want to play kq7 and found some problems too.
Im trying to play it under dosbox and had the same problems of this topic, I followed all the instructions and solved some of them, but now im stuck with the same message of the last post:

We're sorry, you have encountered an internal game error. Please restart your game and restore a saved game. If you have continued problems, please report the following information to Sierra Technical Support:

Error 62: Can't find id corresponding to offset 6f73 in script 15 d:\sci\script.cpp(232)
Script 64995/$877

(This is under dosbox)

Any help would be appreciated, thx.