VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Wallace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run these games on an XP system. I can run Bermuda and if I start a new game, it plays quite lovely, but an attempt to restore my old saves causes it to crash with a message about "SELIK" causing a protection error (there is no file named SELIK anywhere in the game's directory, nor does it start any process by that name)

Congo, on the other hand, does not run at all. It freezes with a black window named "Mission: Congo" and nothing happens

"Starship Troopers" runs if I use the NVidia patch and run it in 98 compatibility mode, but there are errors... wobbling sound, skips, disappearing menus, freezes, too fast an action (the whole squad dies a second after the mission begins)...

Has anyone had any success with these?

Reply 1 of 2, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wallace wrote:

I can run Bermuda and if I start a new game, it plays quite lovely, but an attempt to restore my old saves causes it to crash with a message about "SELIK" causing a protection error (there is no file named SELIK anywhere in the game's directory, nor does it start any process by that name)

You need to keep your save files in game's SCN subfolder (default) (the one with main executable).

Reply 2 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wallace wrote:

Congo, on the other hand, does not run at all. It freezes with a black window named "Mission: Congo" and nothing happens

If you're using a copy you downloaded from somewhere, you should at least check to see if it works correctly in some other version of Windows. Apparently it is a 16-bit Windows game, so you should be able to use Win 3.1 in DOSBox. It might be a Quicktime problem.