Common searches

Quest for Glory 5

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Its really sad since their legacy software is what gave them their, well, legacy.

Understand that, for all intents and purposes, there is no "Sierra" beyond a label and some copyrights. They were on the decline by the time 1997 rolled around, but once they were bought out, pink slips were issued, and the actual "in-the-Sierra's" location was closed down, it was all over.

The people in charge of these "franchises" have little connection to those who created them. There was a spark of interest where Al Lowe was contacted about possible future projects, but that went quiet some time back...

Reply 22 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a damn shame. Especially since they don't even know how to do tech support for their old games -- OR even RELEASE THE SOURCE to either SCI or AGI or any of their other stuff.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 23 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ....OR even RELEASE THE SOURCE to either SCI or AGI or any of their other stuff.

They may not even have it anymore. IIRC, they were pretty much "evicted" from the California headquarters with people scrambling to grab artwork and anything else not nailed down to keep it from being thrown away.

Reply 25 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover 😮
That's messed up, heh

Need to find that story again... I think it was over at [url]http://www.sierra-quest.com,[/url] which also (unfortunately) has disappeared.

At least we have some semblance of their efforts at Tierra. http://www.tierraentertainment.com/

Reply 27 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover And through the magic of the (excrutiatingly slow) wayback machine,...

Slow is right. Could feel myself aging...

I bring you sierra-quest.com

Or rather, some bits of text from sierra-quest.com. Most of the site archive is broken. At least it had Duffy's email, so maybe I can at least find out what happened to it, and it's files.

Reply 29 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Try an earlier date.

Getting tons of errors now, must be reaching it's limit in the archive. I'll just try the email I got from the previous access.

Reply 30 of 31, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I finally got QFG5 working on XP, the reason why not everyone gets this same error is because this only applies to CPUs with a Sound Blaster Audigy + sound card..... I just had to go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound playback -> Advanced -> and then lower the hardware acceleration from full (4/4) to 2/4 and PRESTO.... QFG5 works on XP.... hope this helps everyone who has this same problem.....

Reply 31 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

UGH. Again, the SBAudigy's flakey drivers causing problems. Bastards. Heh, try running Final Fantasy VIII on an SBAudigy under 2K/XP. Now THERE's some shitty sound due to their stupid drivers. Not to mention that if you've got a GeForce you're doubly screwed, since the patch that EA issued to fix the problem also flipped the video so you can't use any updated Bink DLLs to fix it or the videos are upside-down! Argh! Madness! I went through 2/3 of that game on my W2K box before learning about the deceleration fix. (Thank god there was no speech >.<)
I think that these problems were resolved in the SBAudigy2 drivers (Unified, so they work on the Audigy1) but I never kept them around for long enough to test that theory (too many issues with the software being designed for an Audigy2 whereas I still only had and have an Audigy1).

Yes, it’s my fault.