VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster here...

I usually manage to run my old games myself, but not this time... 😅

I included my PC specs hoping it might help...

-The first game that is giving me problems is Three Dirty Dwarves, I manage to see the intro and all, but when I hit "Start Game", I just get a black screen, it doesn't crash, but it doesn't seem to load either...

-Sonic & Knuckles Collection works, but it's just too darn fast! Is there anything like MoSlo for windows game?

-Games like Sega Smash Pack and Puzzle pack have this annoying flicker, I can play them, but the flicker is driving me crazy!

-Garfield: Caught in the Act, has the same problem as Dirty Dwarves, excpet I don't even get the intro...

-Sonic CD gave me trouble from the start I had to install some drivers manually but now it's giving me a "Can't find MCI" error and crashes...

Reply 1 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only thing that I suggest is that you enable VSYNC in drivers. Thus, game will probably run at 60HZ maximum.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 16, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CPU Kill may help with your speed problems. Sonic CD will not work in anything higher than Win98 (it may work in WinME, but I don't count that) due to video driver issues; don't even try it without a virtual machine program.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 4 of 16, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, the patch worked! 😁

It's a shame about Sonic CD, thank God I have the Mega CD version! 😜

I still have to get Garfield and Three Dirty Dwarves working...

And the flickering in Sega Smash Pack too...

Reply 5 of 16, by Tanukitsune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! Some guy made a patch that makes Sonic CD work on XP and it WORKS!

Link here!

But why does the music sound so different from the Sega CD version?

I'm still working oh how to get Three Dirty Dwarves and Garfield caught in the Act to work on XO... 🙁

Reply 7 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the music maybe because there are two (or more?) different soundtracks for Sonic CD (at least on the Mega-CD) - the Japanese and the US versions... not sure which the European version or the PC version uses, but they're probably using different versions.

I downloaded the US and Japanese Mega-CD versions and they do have very different music...

Reply 9 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you sohuld try playing the original versions (Sega Genesis or Sega CD) using emulators like Fusion or Gens32. Chances are they are easier to configure and the gaming experience is far better. Sega PC ports never had a great reputation.

Reply 10 of 16, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, but this would require finding ROMs, which tends to become extremely problematic.

Reply 12 of 16, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, these things just work themselves out sometimes. Cool.

Reply 14 of 16, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw the Sonic Mega Collection Plus is now out on PC too, so that's another method of getting a lot of the Sonic games to work in XP easily!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 15 of 16, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

DO NOT POST LINKS TO ILLEGAL SOFTWARE OR YOU WILL BE BANNED.

All right, all right, didn't know links to emulation / roms were not allowed in this board. I'll keep that in mind.