VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone any solutions to the problem of running AvP Gold under WinXP with an nVidia card running higher than driver version 66.93?

Basically game runs normally until you start the mission and then you get a black screen with 'lights' that stay on-screen gradually filling it up 🙁 Reading through the AvP forums and nVidia forums there were some statements saying that 66.93's were the last drivers that the game worked with.

I thought the co-op game might be a bit of fun in an upcomming LAN session.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 8, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have XP, but I got the same thing when I recently installed AVP Gold using one of the 7x.xx drivers. I was able to solve it by switching to a 16 bit screen mode. I used 800x600x16 and the game played normally.

Try that and see if it helps.

Reply 2 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the tip. It didn't work out for me though 🙁 I tried setting desktop res mode to that, game mode to match, tried all of the game modes (in both 16 and 32 bits), all detail options off and combinations of on.

Exhausted now!

Reply 5 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might try:
- Making sure the latest game patch is installed
- Turn off all antialiasing and anisotropic filtering
- Setting the game to run in Win98 compatibility mode
- Install the latest Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, which will automatically apply compatibility fixes for many games
- Look around for AvP and/or Monolith/Lithtech forums to see if anyone else has discussed this issue

I haven't tried playing AvP for a couple years, and I remember having trouble the last time. Unfortunately it was too long ago.

Reply 6 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest game patch - unfortunately the gold version *is* the latest for that particular game.
AA and AF - set to app controlled by default but also tried all D3D advanced settings for nVidia driver to low/off settings.
Tried Win98 compatability mode - no difference.
ACT - I've never had any joy with this 🙁
Other posts - I've found two on the nVidia forums that point out that drivers past 66.93 broke this game.

I can't exactly remember why I updated to the 71.89 driver but it was for some other game that wouldn't run with what I was running at the time. According to the nVidia forum post's (here and here) there wouldn't seem to be a solution!

Thanks for the advice nonetheless 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Follow up to this...

Someone took a look at the source code and provided a better Z buffer clear implementation which corrects the issue.

Download from http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic= … ndpost&p=207581

Works with my GF6600GT and 71.89 drivers on WinXP