VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Minissa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just joined, so I apologize if this is redundant. I'm running GK1 in DOS on a Pentium 3-1000 that runs under Windows ME. Card is a Sound Blaster Live; Direct X is 8.0; video card is an nvidia TNT2. The game originally played without problems on my old Pentium 75 with Windows 95. It has had the following problem on one other faster computer whose specs I don't know. Problem is, it loads fine under DOS and plays UNTIL day (I think) 5. You're trying to get into Mosley's office with his key but can't do it with the other cops around. The trick was to get the beignet (doughnut) vendor to come back so the cops would clear out and buy doughnuts. While they are gone, you sneak into the office. OK, my problem is, the animation icon is now staying up for so long that there's no time to click on anything to get Gabe into Mosley's office; the animation icon effectively stays up the whole time the cops are leaving the station one by one, then they immediately start coming back, so the animation icon is off for maybe 1/10th of a second. At no time between your previous location and the start of the animation do you have time to switch to the key icon or any of the icons that would let you into the area from which you would access the door. Can someone help me? I'm disinclined to think it's an OS error because the game is working well up to this point, and this is two different computers it's glitched on (sorry I don't know the specs on the other one; best guess is a Pentium II with Windows 9x). Please help me before I lose my mind and pass my insanity on to the next generation, who badly wants to get past day 5. OK to email or copy directly to me at caros@aros.net

Minissa

Reply 1 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a "speed-sensitive" issue. My CD version won't run on DosBox due to VCPI, meaning it's using "Protected mode".

Not sure if speedset or "slow-down" utilities will help...

Have you tried running the Windows version?

Reply 2 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall things like this occurring with Space Quest 1 -- where there were some places that were IMPOSSIBLE to get through on a modern computer because some timing depended on having a slow clock. You might want to try finding a savegame just past that part on Day 5. Do a search on the web for Gabriel Knight savegames.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 9, by Ashera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I remember correctly, you don't actually need to sneak in while the cops buy beighnuts. After they buy them, the main cop will start getting drowsy. Wait for this and set your walking speed to its highest. (At this speed Gabriel practically teleports. 😜)

Some FAQs/walkthroughs have said that if you hold the key and try to use it on the door (while the cop is drowsy or buying beighnuts) Gabriel will go through the counter door and unlock Mosley's office. I seem to remember that the actual solution was similar to this, but not exactly this. You may have to first move to somewhere near Mosley's door, and *then* use the key. It's been several months since I played, and the thread on Sierra's official forums that suggested this tactic is gone.

I hope this helped.

~Ashera

Reply 5 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mo'Slo does NOT slow down the processor, it just eats up clock cycles.

Try DOSBox. (Does anyone have a public beta link?) It has MSCDEX support now and should run SCI games fine.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 9, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Well, I'm working on a guy to pressure him into writing DPMI for DOSBox. We'll see. 😜

Who, Mok?

Is this not pointless, without Harekiet's protected-mode emulation?