VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PointMan12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Long time no see all. Hows everyone doing and in advance thanx for the help.

My problem starts with me playing an old game called Lands of Lore II : Guardians of Destiny. I've had all kinds of problems from installing it to the sound and finally to skipping cutscenes but I finally got the WIN95 version of it to run on my XP. The problem is that some cutscenes do not work, and most others start out fine and then begin to get choppy during the middle and then towards the end. Also some times the game will just randomly shut off at strange intervals. The way I've gotten around this would be by playing it in DOS mode for just the cutscenes but in DOS the sound is skipping/choppy. I currently have attempted all the compatibility modes from win95 through Win 2000 and the only ones that work are Windows NT and 2000 but these are the ones that have the skipping/ choppy cutscenes.

Please if anyone can help me, Contact me at Warrior109@aol.com or respond to this post. Thanx again.

Reply 1 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the game patched to latest version? If I recall correctly, there was a patch that added D3D hardware acceleration.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 12, by PointMan12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep got that, I see that this is an on going problem for people on this forum and I think that I cant fix it because I dont have a valid version of windows, would that be a problem? But to answer your question I downloaded the patch and the graphics look great its just the cutscenes they work in the beginning and then get extremely choppy during the middle to the end. I was like all happy when I was watching it and then it got really crappy and I was like all, No Wai!!1 and stuff. Plz gimme some support dudes.

Reply 3 of 12, by PointMan12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The patch that I downloaded was the 1.30 patch but I can tell from playing this game before that it didnt help the cutscenes out at all they are still somewhat pixelated, it just spoofed up the in game graphics to make them rendered. 😁

Reply 4 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me it's fixed (at least for INTRO) selecting W95 compatibility mode for LOLG95.EXE as well as force 640x480 resolution & disable themes. I don't know if the latter is needed but it works for me this way.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 12, by PointMan12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok it doesnt seem to be the compatibility anymore maybe its something with my CD ROM because I just tried playing it without any compatibility and it did the same thing where it was choppy half way through the cutscene, so we can rule out Sound and compatibility. what do u think?

Reply 8 of 12, by PointMan12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Why? The v1.30 W95 executable seems to work just fine.

I agree it does work fine but it doesnt seem to change anything that has to do with the videos, 🤣 I am more interested in figuring out the problem then playing it. 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What videocard do you have?

Video cutscenes seem to work just fine the way I described above for my ATi Radeon X800GTO

Did you try the 640x480 thingy in the compatibility tab?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 10 of 12, by PointMan12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a radeon 9200 i think and I did try it under the 640x480 thing, I tried to get dosbox but i had no idea how to use it so I just deleted it. Is there a way i could speed up the CDROM or tweek something to make the videos run through my Winamp/Windows media Player? I dont know 🤣 im outts guesses for now.

Reply 11 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have two suggestions:

1.- Make BIN/CUE or NRG (Nero) images from the original CDs and use them from a virtual drive (such as Daemon Tools). This should speed up things a bit.

2.- Don't give up on DOSBox yet. There's a Guides/FAQs section on this forum with a pictorial tutorial inside. You should not have too many problems getting DOSBox up and running. First, read them, and if you need further help, ask away (in the DOSBox appropiate section of the forum).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 12 of 12, by merlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Lands of Lore 2 also and experienced the same problem with choppy cutscenes. I was able to smoothly view some of the cutscenes from the CDs with this alternative program though:

http://www.fansiteads.com/tiberiumsun/downloa … ies/vqa2avi.zip

This program allowed me to view various cutscenes on all four CDs without choppiness, but some cutscenes were either partially or fully inaccessible with this program and I continue my search for a better solution.

Please let me know if it works for you. It seems to work with most Westwood games.

Thanks,

Jeff