VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PinkFloyd2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've heard some people complaining about have the game run too fast but I can't even get it to install. When I open the setup.exe file the Installation Window, although running in the background along with the music playing, disappears and I'm forced to Ctrl-Alt-Del it. I was able to install it on a Virtual Machine running Win 98 on it and I copied the files to my XP machine. When I start the game, everything runs as it should but when it goes to load a level the screen goes black and returns to the desktop. Anything I can do?

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't tested the game in quite awhile since I've been playing it in VPC\Vmware for 3-4 years but here's the info from my compatibility list for when I tested it on my host system a couple of years back:

Silent Thunder A-10 Tank Killer 2
Upon executing the game you will receive this message: "The current video mode supports more than 256 colors. For best performance, run in 256-color-mode. Continue Anyway?" Click "NO". Also when trying to fly a mission the game will not run. Do the following to make it work!

Install the Application Compatibility Toolkit on the XP CD under the Support Tools directory. ACT20.EXE
Use QfixApp on A10SHELL.EXE and click the "EmulateCreateProcess" and "Force8bitcolor" boxes.
Click the "Advanced" tab. Then click "Create fix support".
Then go to the AppPatch folder in the Windows folder and click on the .reg
Now all you have to do is run the game and it will always run without having to do the above every time!
Reinstall this .sdb if you reinstall windows!

Unfortunately the game runs too fast to play. Need slowdown program.

Game also crashes alot.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silent Thunder is one of the Sierra games that has the hidden setup. Some of these can be solved by turning on "Windows Classic" view. For those that still don't work, there is a utility, written by a LSL fan to install LSL7:

http://ayumi_chan15.tripod.com/soft/lsl7setup.html

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a DOS version of the game.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers