Common searches

486 emulator

Topic actions

First post, by BladeTurbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI All,
I was wondering if there was a 486 emulator which runs under windows. i have tried a couple different dos ones, but i could not get them working. i have tried bochs and emu486 with no success.

thanks
Brad

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well bochs should work although it's known the hard to set up.

You could try virtual pc or vmware.
Both are not free but I think they work fine.

Is there any special reason why it should be a 486 ?

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by BladeTurbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm not sure if you remember, but Geoworks once had an OS called Geoworks Ensemble (which ran on top of windows). it was a really cool program, but it won't run on anything higher than a 486 (tried a pentium, but would not run). i once had a 486 machine but it took a dump on me (i'm still in the market for one as we speak). also, running older dos games is a pain in the ass. i tried virtual pc, but it emulates a pentium class or higher. Virtual pc is cool in that i was able to load windows 3.11 😀 I havent tried VMware, i'll download it and try it.

thanks for any help
Brad

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by BladeTurbo i once had a 486 machine but it took a dump on me...

*gags from visual*

(i'm still in the market for one as we speak). also, running older dos games is a pain in the ass. i tried virtual pc, but it emulates a pentium class or higher. Virtual pc is cool in that i was able to load windows 3.11 😀 I havent tried VMware, i'll download it and try it.

VPC is rather poor for most DOS games (the less audio/visual action the better), VMWare is worse.